OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: What do you have your flow control pipe setting at currently?

vNdWLw9l.jpg
Currently on Max but not much difference at the lowest setting ie I see no movement of the BBP.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max is actually minimum. 1 is the highest level. There should be a large difference in the water height inside the skimmer from max to 1.

That's where I was headed. But if the OP is stating turning it has no effect...I wonder if the o-ring is not installed?

@Zoaeasy: Just for giggles, pull up on the adjustment tube until the portion that fits inside at the bottom of the skimmer body comes out. Make sure there is a small rubber o-ring gasket in a groove on the end of the tube.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a older pic.

IMG_9237.JPG
That's where I was headed. But if the OP is stating turning it has no effect...I wonder if the o-ring is not installed?

@Zoaeasy: Just for giggles, pull up on the adjustment tube until the portion that fits inside at the bottom of the skimmer body comes out. Make sure there is a small rubber o-ring gasket in a groove on the end of the tube.
Roger that!

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I looked at my manual and seems I have all the right o rings etc.
This is the level of the BBP with the cup removed which I think is ok.
B3902D5A-BC0D-4BE0-8D7F-907EFFFAE0FF.jpeg

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, bud - I'm out of ideas for you. It's definately pulling out some nastiness for you from the water column; just not getting it up and over the cup. Hopefully raising it like some have suggested will do the trick.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a relatively cheap "Your Choice Aquatics" skimmer, it's a seaside aquatics off-brand skimmer, with a DC pump. Dirt cheap, respectively. Amazing.

I was a firm believer in DC skimmers after owning this thing for a few days. It's insanely efficient, and immediately outperformed my Vertex. This is the first few days running the new skimmer. I can make light colored tea to mud with this thing.

IMG_20170411_231509340.jpg

And yes -- The foam WILL get dense enough to lift off the lid. It's done it more than once.

Last edited:

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bm curve a5 (curve 5 with dc pump) I hate it. It's either not skimming or overflowing. Almost zero in between. I'm looking for replacements and will not be selling it because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with it.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bm curve a5 (curve 5 with dc pump) I hate it. It's either not skimming or overflowing. Almost zero in between. I'm looking for replacements and will not be selling it because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with it.
Agreed I will be taking the pump apart this weekend and see if its the issue but also looking for other options. There is already one other option mentioned in this thread. I would appreciate some input re a good reasonably priced skimmer for 60 G.

Heliarc19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar problems with my RO skimmer at first, solutions for me were shut air intake to 50%, open outlet to max open, power to 2 of 5, and most important keep the neck CLEAN

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of sales going on right now. I'm looking at reef octopus 110ss, skimz sm121 or sk181, and on the high end deltec sca1351. I'm willing to pay good money to not have to deal with issues like these again.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Followed the advice above. Took it out and completely apart. Soaked in vinegar and scrubbed the pump out. Reinstalled it in my sump and went back a few hours later to a half cup of beautiful skimate. (that's how desperate I have become) .
All my problems solved ....... not .
The point of sale is now no longer skimming the next day with the BBS about 4 " below the neck and I know for a fact that I have a lot of organic material in my system.
Grrr I give up on this skimmer.
Ps Santa please drop of a decent skimmer , I've tried to be a good boy , well apart from that time and that one and oh that one as well.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set at 9 in and my air is just past the middle mark works great have no problems and I love it

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just digging through this old thread same skimmer same problem going to buy an upgrade!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back