Is this the first sign of Coraline Algae?

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a slight diatom battle recently but have really gotten it to scale back finally. I’m starting to see some lime green covering my dry rock. Is this the first stage of coraline algae growth?

CC093F40-4A6D-494E-B441-F5BE7773A753.jpeg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chance that it could just be green algae but typically it’s beginning stages of coraline

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chance that it could just be green algae but typically it’s beginning stages of coraline
I will say it seems to be growing very flush against the rock. Not really stinging off at all. And it has been very slow. Maybe just noticed the green specks showing up a week ago.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a long way to go IMO. Tank looks maybe a couple months old. I didn't see coraline until 5 or 6 months. You'll see it on your powerheads and glass, not just rocks. It will take a metal edged tool to scrape off and feels like plaster

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no, coraline typ starts as small pink or purple specks that slowly get larger in size. What have you added to the tank to seed the coraline? Parameters?

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no, coraline typ starts as small pink or purple specks that slowly get larger in size. What have you added to the tank to seed the coraline? Parameters?
I had a small piece of live rock from my LFS for awhile.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you posted the same picture and asked ‘is this the start of the ugly stage’ you would get as many people answering yes.
Ha! You may be right. It’s actually dialed back in ugliness since I started dosing vibrant.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! You may be right. It’s actually dialed back in ugliness since I started dosing vibrant.
The ugly stage will happen no matter what. Focus on stability rather than dosing anything. The ugly phase is a good thing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you want the ugly stage, you just need to not let it get out of control.

The ugly stage is all part of the process, it will help your white rock look natural.

Not sure why you have been dosing vibrant from the picture you have posted, doesn’t look a very mature tank or one that has gone through any meaningful ugly stage, so vibrant probably is at best useless or at worse hindering your tank maturing.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it's going to look good at first, then bad, then improve and then get worse, then look good and hopefully stay that way. There may be another "look bad" or two in there somewhere. I used to hate how everybody says to be patient on this forum, but you actually have to be patient with this.
It's like a checklist:

_ Diatoms
_ Green stuff on rocks
_ Hair algae
_ Mystery algae
_ Something slimy that could be Cyano or Dinos and everyone says to get a microscope.

Then comes the "why can't I totally get rid of algae?" stage, followed by acceptance that it will always require maintenance to control and learn to be prepared to do serious battle every year or two.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it's going to look good at first, then bad, then improve and then get worse, then look good and hopefully stay that way. There may be another "look bad" or two in there somewhere. I used to hate how everybody says to be patient on this forum, but you actually have to be patient with this.
It's like a checklist:

_ Diatoms
_ Green stuff on rocks
_ Hair algae
_ Mystery algae
_ Something slimy that could be Cyano or Dinos and everyone says to get a microscope.

Then comes the "why can't I totally get rid of algae?" stage, followed by acceptance that it will always require maintenance to control and learn to be prepared to do serious battle every year or two.
Preach

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a checklist:

_ Diatoms
_ Green stuff on rocks
_ Hair algae
_ Mystery algae

so true, I’m going through the ‘I need to buy a microscope’ stage atm, held off for now, hoping the good old turkey baster will do the trick.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a checklist:

_ Diatoms
_ Green stuff on rocks
_ Hair algae
_ Mystery algae

Great advice thank you!!!

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want the ugly stage, you just need to not let it get out of control.

The ugly stage is all part of the process, it will help your white rock look natural.

Not sure why you have been dosing vibrant from the picture you have posted, doesn’t look a very mature tank or one that has gone through any meaningful ugly stage, so vibrant probably is at best useless or at worse hindering your tank maturing.
I was just trying to follow BRStv. They say the ugly phase can potentially be avoided by dosing this product.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back