Is this the SMALLEST Reef Tank Possible?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this site, thank you so much for all you do. Hey, just a quick question. How do I unsubscribe from these threads showing up in my notifications? Thanks!
Near the top of the page inside each thread, there is an "UNWATCH" button that'll do the trick.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I really liked that these have the pump powered from the light unit and it looks like there's a 2nd USB out as well so you could connect a USB powered micro-heater in there.
Except the light doesn't appear to have any timer functionality built-in. So you either need an external timer for it, which means the two supplemental USB ports will only work when the light is on, or you are manually powering the light on and off. An automated light timer will power off those two USB slots, so no pump or heater. I guess this is why the video they include tells you to plug the pump in seperately. And that's assuming that powering off the light with the button doesn't power off the two supplemental USB outs?
If you could connect the pump and a heater into the light and run all three off a single outlet, and have a way to control the light timing without powering off the two supplemental ports, you would only need a second outlet for your ATO and you're set.
A small desktop tank without a rat's nest of cables taking up multiple power sockets is very desirable.

Attachments

• 1651584867450.png
    1651584867450.png
    450.5 KB · Views: 31

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I really liked that these have the pump powered from the light unit and it looks like there's a 2nd USB out as well so you could connect a USB powered micro-heater in there.
Except the light doesn't appear to have any timer functionality built-in. So you either need an external timer for it, which means the two supplemental USB ports will only work when the light is on, or you are manually powering the light on and off. An automated light timer will power off those two USB slots, so no pump or heater. I guess this is why the video they include tells you to plug the pump in seperately. And that's assuming that powering off the light with the button doesn't power off the two supplemental USB outs?
If you could connect the pump and a heater into the light and run all three off a single outlet, and have a way to control the light timing without powering off the two supplemental ports, you would only need a second outlet for your ATO and you're set.
A small desktop tank without a rat's nest of cables taking up multiple power sockets is very desirable.
I agree on the light. It doesn't have a timer, and for ease of access I have chosen to use the USB on the light for both the heater and pump. I manually turn mine on an off every day. I also made a wood base that I hollowed out so I can stash away the cords. It's still a fun little size to play with though.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the light. It doesn't have a timer, and for ease of access I have chosen to use the USB on the light for both the heater and pump. I manually turn mine on an off every day. I also made a wood base that I hollowed out so I can stash away the cords. It's still a fun little size to play with though.
Thanks for clarifying that. If they modified the light to add timer control and included suitably short cables on a pump and heater, this could be an amazing compact tank.

I think I'm going to cobble together my own using the cheaper Cunzo kit from Aliexpress and replace the crappier built in sump on that kit with a small acrylic tank and a 3D printed stand. Should be able to get pretty much the same thing for 1/3 the price. I'll make sure to include some cable management and storage in my stand design!
I think I'll just not use the ports on the light and instead will use a WiFi Smart plug with multiple USB ports to seperately control lighting with a smart app. By my calculations I should be able to run the light, pump, heater, ATO, and maybe even a tiny fuge light on the sump using only two power sockets.
I'm half tempted to do this as a small freshwater shrimp tank just for easy of maintenance and to add a bit of variety but I really want some tiny corals in this.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying that. If they modified the light to add timer control and included suitably short cables on a pump and heater, this could be an amazing compact tank.

I think I'm going to cobble together my own using the cheaper Cunzo kit from Aliexpress and replace the crappier built in sump on that kit with a small acrylic tank and a 3D printed stand. Should be able to get pretty much the same thing for 1/3 the price. I'll make sure to include some cable management and storage in my stand design!
I think I'll just not use the ports on the light and instead will use a WiFi Smart plug with multiple USB ports to seperately control lighting with a smart app. By my calculations I should be able to run the light, pump, heater, ATO, and maybe even a tiny fuge light on the sump using only two power sockets.
I'm half tempted to do this as a small freshwater shrimp tank just for easy of maintenance and to add a bit of variety but I really want some tiny corals in this.
Mine is the cunzo brand, but both versions use the same light. On the cunzo tanks though there is an option for a freshwater specific light too if that's what your thinking of trying :)

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen these tiny tanks!? I got the chance to look at them this past weekend at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando and they bring a whole new definition to pico tanks!

Check out this video by @Reef Builders

And this video by @KingTideCorals

I love the way these little micro tanks are set up. What do you guys think? What would you put in yours? I'm thinking a sexy shrimp maybe and a rfa or something small. I've seen them with duncans and mushrooms.

Also, would you guys be interested in a group buy for these little tanks through R2R?

What if we set up a group buy through Reef2Reef for anyone interested in buying one?
I might be late to the part but I'd be interest in a group buy

I'm going to get one in the next month anyway

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how often would you have to do the WC and how much water would you have to you change?
Depends on what goes into the tank a pico is no difrent from a regular tank not sure why people think they are

Change the water the same as you would with your main tank

So like a cup every 2 weeks or so lol

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that must’ve been bad a quart of water on the floor haven’t tried mine yet but I believe temperatures around my area are to high since I do not use a/c although I install and service them a/c that is.My 15 gallon tank and its inhabitants do not seem to mind temperatures around 85 degrees or less occasionally and daily as long as the temperatures drop during the night and the fans I use bring in cooler air during the evening . So I want to wait until temperatures come down a bit before I start using the tiny tank and if it leaks than it’s only a novelty. But I do have some pieces of montipora and echinopora that nobody wants so when conditions are right I will cycle tiny tank and add some small pieces to see what happens.

gunga6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that must’ve been bad a quart of water on the floor haven’t tried mine yet but I believe temperatures around my area are to high since I do not use a/c although I install and service them a/c that is.My 15 gallon tank and its inhabitants do not seem to mind temperatures around 85 degrees or less occasionally and daily as long as the temperatures drop during the night and the fans I use bring in cooler air during the evening . So I want to wait until temperatures come down a bit before I start using the tiny tank and if it leaks than it’s only a novelty. But I do have some pieces of montipora and echinopora that nobody wants so when conditions are right I will cycle tiny tank and add some small pieces to see what happens.
Yeah it made a mess on my desk.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen these tiny tanks!? I got the chance to look at them this past weekend at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando and they bring a whole new definition to pico tanks!

Check out this video by @Reef Builders

And this video by @KingTideCorals

I love the way these little micro tanks are set up. What do you guys think? What would you put in yours? I'm thinking a sexy shrimp maybe and a rfa or something small. I've seen them with duncans and mushrooms.

Also, would you guys be interested in a group buy for these little tanks through R2R?

I have a smaller one in a thread x)

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice from the previous link will try mine when local temperatures drop my 15 gallon tank has had no problem with 85 degree temperatures for at least 5 to 6 hours and then temperatures drop during the evening so it cools down during the evening and does not heat to quickly during the morning I have no a/c and we all survive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back