Is this the start of coralline?

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea S-500, with AB+ light cycle running on the 3x Hydra 26 lights. Tank running for approximately 5 weeks now. Full cycle complete, live rock and live sand used, with a few pieces of dry rock in there too.

I know there's some green algae there, but all my dry rock has these spotted red/purple dots.
Is this the start of coralline?

That's a healthy and awesome Moseleya you see pictured too.

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually coralline is the last algae to grow on the rocks. Hopefully its taking off early, but don't be too surprised if your dry rock goes through the 'uglies' for a few months. The back of my tank covered with coralline before it started taking over my rocks.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group. I hope it’s coraline, keep an eye on it. If it spread fast may just be cyano. The way it’s spotting all over is what makes me hesitant, but I am not the greatest on ID so..

#WelcometoR2R

Welcome to the group. Let’s party

upload_2019-4-14_20-58-22.gif

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's coraline. Cyano doesn't usually start at all like that. It looks fairly widespread, is it? Can you blow it off the rock easily with a turkey baster? If it seems hard and not easily wiped or blown off it's very likely coraline. I found that color isn't as hardy as the pink and purple and it likely will be replaced with those colors for the most part.

If you have any stoney corals, watch your Alk and Calcium as coraline can consume a fair amount of those.

OP
OP
Michael Hull

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s spotted all over the new dry rock, not on the sand anywhere. Doesn’t seem to blow off. Only on the rocks really where they are exposed to light, too. I tested my dkh and it was around 5, but I’m going to get a second opinion. I have all the Red Sea reef foundation supplements but have yet to start any of that process yet.

OP
OP
Michael Hull

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s spotted all over the new dry rock, not on the sand anywhere. Doesn’t seem to blow off. Only on the rocks really where they are exposed to light, too. I tested my dkh and it was around 5, but I’m going to get a second opinion. I have all the Red Sea reef foundation supplements but have yet to start any of that process yet.
Also, my nitrates are 0.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back