Is this too strong for a waterbox cube 20g? This is the gatsby schedule and my alveopora is melting

Falorish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1662431340267.png

Parameters:
Salinity: 33ppm
Alkalinity: 8
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1250
Phosphates:0
Nitrates: 1
Ammonia: 0

For a bit of context, I adopted this 6 month old tank about 2 months ago and it came with the alveopora, he would only open up at night and so it makes me wonder if my lights are too strong. Also noticed that although my hammer is open, he doesn't seem completely happy because he isn't fully blown like how I saw him initially.
Any help at all is really appreciated!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1662431340267.png

Parameters:
Salinity: 33ppm
Alkalinity: 8
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1250
Phosphates:0
Nitrates: 1
Ammonia: 0

For a bit of context, I adopted this 6 month old tank about 2 months ago and it came with the alveopora, he would only open up at night and so it makes me wonder if my lights are too strong. Also noticed that although my hammer is open, he doesn't seem completely happy because he isn't fully blown like how I saw him initially.
Any help at all is really appreciated!
The tank is only 16" deep, and 18" x 18" otherwise, so I'd say it is quite possible you need to reduce intensity, but blaxsun is right, the only real way to know is with a PAR meter. Which light are y ou using would also be helpful information.... Saxby schedule on a Prime 16HD would be far different than on a Hydra32HD for instance...

OP
OP
Falorish

Falorish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes totally forgot to mention. I have an AI Prime 16HD and I haven't yet used a PAR meter

OP
OP
Falorish

Falorish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cutting intensities in half, should I basically just half all my current settings or just UV? Cheers!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cutting intensities in half, should I basically just half all my current settings or just UV? Cheers!
place the orange bar at the peak of the schedule, and take note of the highest value

place 2 fingers slightly apart on the screen, drag down so that the overall intensity is 1/2 of what it was.

OP
OP
Falorish

Falorish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about having to individually change all the settings to half and that was such an easy fix wow. Thank you so much!

I'm thinking to also increase my phosphates as well, is there any other parameters I should look out for?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about having to individually change all the settings to half and that was such an easy fix wow. Thank you so much!

I'm thinking to also increase my phosphates as well, is there any other parameters I should look out for?
Also, you can use that same trick but drag left or right to adjust the start and end times...

OP
OP
Falorish

Falorish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 2 primes over 20G waterbox, at about 60% intensity, all the corals love it. Its all about acclimation.
If you don't mind, can I see your current settings?
Also how high have you set the prime over your reef tank out of curiosity, never would have expected 2 primes over a 20G cube

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10g... a bit overcrowded because a lot of that is going in my 40g
I use the Bixby settings, I had them about 60% but when I added the SPS I boosted it to 100% max like yours is now. This pic has a bit of sunlight added. Which in the morning is more powerful than the Bixby at max with the prime. It is about two hours in the morning so that may have helped with the acclimation.
IMG_9410.jpeg

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a very similar mode on my Evo 13.5g. The light was 8" off the water. I agree, turn on the acclimation mode. Maybe start it at 50% for 30/45 days.

1662463009932.png

1662463294481.png

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your sand so clean :loudly-crying-face:. I'm battling cyano and dinos
I was too. for a bit. Two things I did were Nitrobacterclean and a fighting conch. I can't say if it was the solution or just got thru the cycle naturally. But in reality it was probably because its a high nutrient tank, it is so small and the fish, plus I have the MP10 on Reef Crest and my return pump is a Sicce .05 so there is some pretty good flow happening.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back