Is this uronema or an injury on a Chromis

nimrod19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 3 yesterday from the LFS. Did not notice this apparent injury/disease on one of them.

First is this an injury or uronema? It seems to protrude from the side.

Does uronema kill fast? I have Metro on order and won't arrive until tom. I was going to treat with prazipro like usual until I noticed the bump. Thank you.

Video:
Link: video of chromis

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a single slit in the video - like a cut; however, uronema is not a pathogen you want to wait to treat. Look for other signs than just a cut. Is the fish's skin slothing like it's coming off? Is there blood or red sores around the open wound? I've dealt with uronema before and it's a nasty disease. The fish will often act as if it's gasping for air at the surface. Secondary bacterial infections are common. It looks like the fish is in quarantine. Good move! Once in the MD, you can't go fallow to get rid of it. It's a major headache and a complete reboot is often the best course of action.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably uronema from what I can see. Do you have any other meds on hand other than prazi pro?

OP
OP
N

nimrod19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably uronema from what I can see. Do you have any other meds on hand other than prazi pro?

I have Cupramine and Marcyn 2. I'll try to source some metro today, if not it'll be tom. Does it kill fast? I was relieved they survived the night.

OP
OP
N

nimrod19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a single slit in the video - like a cut; however, uronema is not a pathogen you want to wait to treat. Look for other signs than just a cut. Is the fish's skin slothing like it's coming off? Is there blood or red sores around the open wound? I've dealt with uronema before and it's a nasty disease. The fish will often act as if it's gasping for air at the surface. Secondary bacterial infections are common. It looks like the fish is in quarantine. Good move! Once in the MD, you can't go fallow to get rid of it. It's a major headache and a complete reboot is often the best course of action.

Ok, the fish seems to be acting 'normal' from what I can tell.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the fish seems to be acting 'normal' from what I can tell.

Good! If it is uronema, than there is a chance the fish might be saved since it's still eating if treatment is started right away.
According to @Humblefish (expert in fish diseases/treatments), the known treatments for uronema are Chloroquine phosphate and Metronidazole (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-index.247573/ ). I would start building up the fish's immune system by feeding food with vitamins and garlic now, during treatment, and continue garlic at least a few more weeks after treatment. Vitamins are a regular additive to my frozen fish food mixes to keep my fish healthy. Keep us posted on how things go!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back