Is this velvet?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a valentini puffer with my new tank. Aside from corals and anemone he is the only fish in the tank currently.

He has what looks like green algae under him. This morning was the first time I saw it.
Do you think it’s velvet or something else, and what is the best treatment?

ph 8.4
no ammonia or nitrite and nitrate is 10. salt is 1.02
Gave him some shrimp but hard to get a clear picture
first one shows it best
10FAC7A7-077F-49D9-BB0A-2ABF7754222F.jpeg
787C2DEB-A588-4F86-AE03-B0F17B39F98F.jpeg

984852FB-B18C-4055-BA28-654C5321D497.jpeg

1DF40C97-9790-4C1D-AE4B-C7F48F747AAF.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures don't scream "velvet" to me, but from what I can make out- I do see some spots on his belly. Could be early onset of some sort of parasite, do you have access to a QT tank just in case? If it is velvet, you will know for sure within the next day or so...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth looks cottony. Probably lymphocystis. Usually not harmful, but the area on the mouth could be a problem when feeding. I'd consider removing the enough so the fish can eat. Netting and holding the fish in a damp cloth dipped in the tank water while using some dull pointed tweezers to remove the growth from the mouth area. Lympho is a virus somewhat like the human herpes. It will come and go. Pristine water conditions and top quality fresh or frozen foods with vitamins. My little puffer loves chewing on frozen clams.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the mouth is buried in food in the picture, but I could be wrong ;)

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth looks cottony. Probably lymphocystis. Usually not harmful, but the area on the mouth could be a problem when feeding. I'd consider removing the enough so the fish can eat. Netting and holding the fish in a damp cloth dipped in the tank water while using some dull pointed tweezers to remove the growth from the mouth area. Lympho is a virus somewhat like the human herpes. It will come and go. Pristine water conditions and top quality fresh or frozen foods with vitamins. My little puffer loves chewing on frozen clams.

The area on the mouth is a piece of shrimp he is swimming around with from feeding. His mouth looks good, teeth/beak (?) looks good too.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area on the mouth is a piece of shrimp he is swimming around with from feeding. His mouth looks good, teeth/beak (?) looks good too.
OK. Great news! Whew! Dwarf puffers collect stuff on their bellies due to their slime coat. Mine pick up chunks of sand, debris, etc. It usually falls off during the day. Let us know if it doesn't drop off. ;)

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Great news! Whew! Dwarf puffers collect stuff on their bellies due to their slime coat. Mine pick up chunks of sand, debris, etc. It usually falls off during the day. Let us know if it doesn't drop off. ;)

Well, he has a tanish discoloration on one small patch of his back now and he is rubbing on rocks. Where do I go from here, as I assume the worst?

Best I can do is a makeshift quarantine tank, and remove him to treat I am guessing.....

Water tests out good, but I have a ton of snails and crabs the latter being near impossible to catch. If I get him out is my best course of action letting the tank sit empty (but I still have some corals and anenome) or what? If I run my tank with no fish, but all the inverts will it be “safe” in 6 weeks?

Can I quarantine in the sump? does the fish need to be removed from physical contact with the tank or completely out of the water supply?

With only the single fish to worry about, how do I save my entire tank and make it habitable for the future?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he has a tanish discoloration on one small patch of his back now and he is rubbing on rocks. Where do I go from here, as I assume the worst?

Best I can do is a makeshift quarantine tank, and remove him to treat I am guessing.....

Water tests out good, but I have a ton of snails and crabs the latter being near impossible to catch. If I get him out is my best course of action letting the tank sit empty (but I still have some corals and anenome) or what? If I run my tank with no fish, but all the inverts will it be “safe” in 6 weeks?

Can I quarantine in the sump? does the fish need to be removed from physical contact with the tank or completely out of the water supply?

With only the single fish to worry about, how do I save my entire tank and make it habitable for the future?

Yes, the DT system has to be fallow for 6 weeks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I do barely see velvet. I’d start with a freshwater dip in a dark bucket and look for small white “sesame seeds” dropping off during the dip. This would mean flukes and I’d treat for that first.

If symptoms and white spots persist, I’d use CP to treat velvet/ich. Add metro and it treats uronema and possible brook.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back