Is this velvet?

andyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

came home tonight and noticed Buttercup’s eyes are very cloudy. Am I right in thinking this could be Velvet?

if so, what can our black clown fish are also not looking quite right, maybe a white ish mucus?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Maggie

IMG_3294.jpeg IMG_3291.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish symptom sounds like brookynella.

#fishmedic

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics/videos of the clown.
The main symptom of velvet will be very rapid breathing.
Late ich can look a lot like brook, as well as velvet so behavioral symptoms can give a much better answer.

OP
OP
A

andyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get a photo of the clowns will try again tomorrow, atm lights out and they’re hanging out at other side of tank where I can’t get a good image. Cowfish almost appears to have lost sight as bumping into the glass, breathing on both cowfish and clowns appears to be normal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

came home tonight and noticed Buttercup’s eyes are very cloudy. Am I right in thinking this could be Velvet?

if so, what can our black clown fish are also not looking quite right, maybe a white ish mucus?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Maggie

IMG_3294.jpeg IMG_3291.jpeg
That appears to be an advanced case of marine ich, I can see the distinctive spots on the caudal fin.
Treatment is either coppersafe or hyposalinity in a treatment tank with no invertebrates. All fish will likely need to be treated.
If you can post a video of this I might be able to confirm and also tell you if the other fish in the tank have early symptoms yet.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would recommend Hyposalinity as these fish are delicate and hard to keep long term as it is. Their scales are honeycomb shaped plate-like and have toxins for defense against predators.
If copper, I would go low level at 2.0.
A video for Jay would be good. I sold many of these at my lfs until I realized they were not meant to be sold.

OP
OP
A

andyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be an advanced case of marine ich, I can see the distinctive spots on the caudal fin.
Treatment is either coppersafe or hyposalinity in a treatment tank with no invertebrates. All fish will likely need to be treated.
If you can post a video of this I might be able to confirm and also tell you if the other fish in the tank have early symptoms yet.
Jay
Hi Jay,

Please see video attached.

Fresh water dip administered to cowfish, unable to catch clowns atm

Ay advice welcome.

thanks
Mags

Attachments

• IMG_3306.mov
    17.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Please see video attached.

Fresh water dip administered to cowfish, unable to catch clowns atm

Ay advice welcome.

thanks
Mags
I don’t see any definitive ich spots on the clowns, but they are breathing a bit fast.
The first pic you posted of the cowfish is clearly ich though, so that means it is in your tank.
A freshwater dip isn’t helpful in this case, the ich trophonts are deep in the fish mucus so most survive the dip, and then, putting the fish back in the same tank just reinfects it.
To really cure this I’m afraid you’ll need to move all of the fish to a treatment tank and run either hyposalinity or copper.
Jay

OP
OP
A

andyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any definitive ich spots on the clowns, but they are breathing a bit fast.
The first pic you posted of the cowfish is clearly ich though, so that means it is in your tank.
A freshwater dip isn’t helpful in this case, the ich trophonts are deep in the fish mucus so most survive the dip, and then, putting the fish back in the same tank just reinfects it.
To really cure this I’m afraid you’ll need to move all of the fish to a treatment tank and run either hyposalinity or copper.
Jay
Thank you so much for coming back to us. We’ll follow your advice and keep fingers crossed they pull through

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back