Is this what the Reefing Community calls flashing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NinnJinn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NinnJinn

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2018
Messages
555
Reaction score
474
Location
Loogootee, Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read numerous posts in reference to fish flashing but I can never find what flashing actually was.

Is it basically the same as what I would call a fish scratching? LOL here's a video of my Tang "scratching" while in quarantine is this what you call flashing?
If this is not flashing can someone point me to a video?

 
Last edited:
For some reason I can't see the video.

People use the term "flashing" interchangeably. It can be scratching on rocks and substrate like you describe. This is a common symptom of parasites, especially when the fish appears to target the gill area.

"Flashing" could also refer to the nuptial displays of certain fish (most commonly flasher and fairy wrasses, but there are many others). Characteristics include flaring fins and actually changing colors.
 
Video unavailable but flashing is basically the fish darting towards a rock or other feature and kind of hitting its side to try and dislodge what is bothering it. Happens very fast.
 
Here is an (old) video of a male rhomboid I owned "flashing", as a nuptial display:

Here's a picture of his normal coloration for reference:
View attachment 990827

IMG_9602.jpg


IMG_9602.jpg
 
I've always heard "flashing" as a term used when fish are sick and scratching themselves on the substrate/rocks/coral.

Agree though I have heard flashing used as well with mating rituals.
 
I’ve heard that behavior called “glancing”.
 
Depending on the species, flashing can be about mating or even feeding. In the case of a hippo, it's almost certainly a effort to dislodge a parasite.
 
Depending on the species, flashing can be about mating or even feeding. In the case of a hippo, it's almost certainly a effort to dislodge a parasite.

What species flash during feeding? Do cleaner wrasse?
 
My leopard wrasses routinely rub up against the substrate, I assume, to dislodge any tasty morsels. That is certainly what it appears to be to me. Don’t recall seeing my blue streak doing it though.
 
My leopard wrasses routinely rub up against the substrate, I assume, to dislodge any tasty morsels. That is certainly what it appears to be to me. Don’t recall seeing my blue streak doing it though.

Thanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new