Is this worms or some type of internal parasite with my tang?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, noticed this going on with my tang today. Looks like something prazipro would probably clear up. But I'm no expert.

@Jay Hemdal could you help me diagnose? Thanks.

The video show it best. Was hard to get with pictures. At first I thought it was a thread that got on her somehow. But then I noticed it's also hanging from her Anus. I think she pooped the other part and it just got caught on her.

20230128_151519.jpg
20230128_151641.jpg
20230128_151521.jpg
20230128_151639.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something that was floating in the water and then got caught underneath the tang's spike. It looks like stringy feces from another fish. That may or may not be an issue for that fish, but the tang should have this drop off pretty soon as it breaks up. Of course, it could be feces from the tang itself.....

Jay

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal if you watch the video, you can tell its also coming out of her anus. right towards the end of the video.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently changed the tang's diet? Can you add in frozen brine shrimp to act as a laxative?

Jay

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something that was floating in the water and then got caught underneath the tang's spike. It looks like stringy feces from another fish. That may or may not be an issue for that fish, but the tang should have this drop off pretty soon as it breaks up. Of course, it could be feces from the tang itself.....

Jay
It's definitely white string feces from the tang. Would that be something to address with prazi? I would priably just dose the whole DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Jay Hemdal if you watch the video, you can tell its also coming out of her anus. right towards the end of the video.
I agree with jay. Off the tail scalpel is suspended feces and from anal area is the same feces which was probably long and broke off.
Often when deeding mysis shrimp and similar textured foods, there will be mucus in the feces causing it to hang on and not drop off like it should. I see no abnormalities especially from looks of fish and assuming it has good appetite.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely white string feces from the tang. Would that be something to address with prazi? I would priably just dose the whole DT.

It likely isn't a worm, it is mucoid feces, so prazi wouldn't help (that only works against tapeworms and I don't see any sign of segments in that material - tapeworms look like little squares linked together. Also, you don't see tapeworms coming out of a fish like this unless the fish has been treated and the worms are dying).

Jay

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently changed the tang's diet? Can you add in frozen brine shrimp to act as a laxative?

Jay
Only thing I have changed is feeding alot more nori cause if the HLLE with the coral beauty. Same guy if you didn't notice, lol. I don't have any frozen Brine shrimp. But I could get some Monday.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jay. Off the tail scalpel is suspended feces and from anal area is the same feces which was probably long and broke off.
Often when deeding mysis shrimp and similar textured foods, there will be mucus in the feces causing it to hang on and not drop off like it should. I see no abnormalities especially from looks of fish and assuming it has good appetite.
Ok, so think just keep an eye on her, I've had her almost two years with no issues. I have added new fish, but they were all QTed by Jay's protocol. She never was cause she came with the tank and I was new to the hobby when I got it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have changed is feeding alot more nori cause if the HLLE with the coral beauty. Same guy if you didn't notice, lol. I don't have any frozen Brine shrimp. But I could get some Monday.
Nori should reduce mucus feces, not cause it - I’m not sure what’s going on with it. Brine shrimp will act as a laxative for sure though.
Jay

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori should reduce mucus feces, not cause it - I’m not sure what’s going on with it. Brine shrimp will act as a laxative for sure though.
Jay
Ok, thanks. I'll try to pick some up soon, can't hurt. It may be normal with her, and I just noticed it cause it got hung on her this time.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back