Is this worth buying? Separating sealant

kitti-fish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2024
Messages
491
Reaction score
550
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seller is selling this tank but I noticed a section of the sealant lifting. He said it’s above the waterline and on the top edge, approximately 1/4”. Is this tank worth buying or am I risking flooding my floors? This is not a chip in the glass. Need expert advice.
20261005_202233_688F8D85-86A1-42FE-AB3E-CE2DF7D06FA4.png


20261005_202233_ABC7EA04-4843-43C9-A204-9F255CC346AF.png
 
I personally wouldn’t take the chance as-is or the time and effort to tear it down and reseal it. It’s an untaxed tank of substantial depth.
Gotcha what a shame I really love the look of it 😭 I just would be super upset for it to further rip at the seams
 
Being it’s a small aquarium it could last a very long time with it like that but again it also could split and leave a decent puddle and or cause a fire so really not worth the chances in my opinion.
 
Man that's a nice looking tank. I wonder if eurobracing that top left side would help keep things together. If it was a really, really good deal I'd be tempted to, at the very least, set it up as a saltwater paludarium and leave the top 12" or more unfilled. IMO this thing is begging for mangroves.

@UncommonSense what do you think about this one?
 
Man that's a nice looking tank. I wonder if eurobracing that top left side would help keep things together. If it was a really, really good deal I'd be tempted to, at the very least, set it up as a saltwater paludarium and leave the top 12" or more unfilled. IMO this thing is begging for mangroves.

@UncommonSense what do you think about this one?

Seller wants $200 I was actually going to try to bring him down to around $60 because he failed to sell it at $50 a few months ago. The guy said it’s been like that since he’s had it but it’s been dry for a few years now in his house. I really like the tank but my husband is scared it will fail which is a fair fear to have. I was going to just make it a plant based salt water tank but mangroves sounds good. I love the design..
 
Despite that seam bubble appearing to actually be from the manufacturing process, I also wouldn’t trust this tank… it’s got questionable silicone work in other areas visible in the photo, which would lead me to believe this tank isn’t from a major manufacturer…
 
Despite that seam bubble appearing to actually be from the manufacturing process, I also wouldn’t trust this tank… it’s got questionable silicone work in other areas visible in the photo, which would lead me to believe this tank isn’t from a major manufacturer…
The tank is a drop down tank from IM... Discontinued for years (4ish) My LFS has a few left over that he is selling for $800. It is only a 20g tank.
$50, a razor blade and a $14 tube of aquarium sealant... done...
But, because it is only a 20g and the affected area at the top, you would probably be good as is.
But it is a nice foray into tank repair...
my 2cents
 
I don't think that would be an issue. I'm curious how it happened though. From what I've learned, if the glass is squeezed to tight then the silicon shrinks during the process and creates small air pockets/bubbles inside. This one originates from the edge and has sharp cut off lines, as if someone simply didn't put enough silicone in the first place? It is a good opportunity to get a decent discount though.
 
Despite that seam bubble appearing to actually be from the manufacturing process, I also wouldn’t trust this tank… it’s got questionable silicone work in other areas visible in the photo, which would lead me to believe this tank isn’t from a major manufacturer…
The tank is a drop down tank from IM... Discontinued for years (4ish) My LFS has a few left over that he is selling for $800. It is only a 20g tank.
$50, a razor blade and a $14 tube of aquarium sealant... done...
But, because it is only a 20g and the affected area at the top, you would probably be good as is.
But it is a nice foray into tank repair...
my 2cents
For resealing I’m guessing I’d have to take out all the silicone on that edge and redo it? Or would this be a full silicone repair situation?
 
I don't think that would be an issue. I'm curious how it happened though. From what I've learned, if the glass is squeezed to tight then the silicon shrinks during the process and creates small air pockets/bubbles inside. This one originates from the edge and has sharp cut off lines, as if someone simply didn't put enough silicone in the first place? It is a good opportunity to get a decent discount though.
Since the seller is the second owner he said I bought it secondhand like this. The tank is also around 8 or 9 years old so that’s my other concern if the seams are failing
 
Update: seller got ticked at my offer and said someone else will be getting it for $150. Probably dodged a bullet long term. A shame but oh well.
Things are only worth what someone will pay for it....
I've got one with a similar chip in the corner, had it running for a year or so. Very fun little tank. Back chambers SUCK trying to fit a pump etc in it. It has a weird.... inaccessible area...like the pump chamber is vertical... but then has an offshoot underneath where the intakes are....
 
Update: seller got ticked at my offer and said someone else will be getting it for $150. Probably dodged a bullet long term. A shame but oh well.
Things are only worth what someone will pay for it....
I've got one with a similar chip in the corner, had it running for a year or so. Very fun little tank. Back chambers SUCK trying to fit a pump etc in it. It has a weird.... inaccessible area...like the pump chamber is vertical... but then has an offshoot underneath where the intakes are....
Fair enough I thought the original $200 value is insane when I got a 45 gallon with stand and extras less than a few months old for $550. The guy was being a little pushy at t the end and telling me he’s not trying to scam anyone..which sounds scammy. I’ve already flooded our house once so I would hate for it to be a second time even if it’s a few years down the line from a failed seam. Also good to know about the back end. AIO are not my favorite but the look of the tank was super cool. Oh well..maybe I’ll find something better and cooler eventually
giphy.gif
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new