Is this zoa dead?

FishDoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got fruit loop zoas from the LFS and immediately they closed up. After being in the tank for a couple days I did a iodine and hydrogen peroxide dip. After putting back in the tank it is now covered in spider web looking stuff?

is it a goner or is it getting better?

image.jpg

OP
OP
FishDoji

FishDoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was 50/50 RO water and h2o2 and I left it in for about 3 minutes. Then tried to gently pull of strands

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might’ve been too strong a concentrate of peroxide it’s usually only a few cap fills... regardless after an intense dip like that it may take time for them to recover from it... do you have a picture with white lights by chance ?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You were on the right track with iodine (specifically lugols) dips, hydrogen peroxide, at any concentration, is too harsh in my experience and should be reserved for bad cases of hair algae growing on the plug/zoa.

That guy might be a goner but your instincts were right. Iodine dips are a very useful too in your kit and can be very therapeutic for struggling corals.

OP
OP
FishDoji

FishDoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Too be honest I figured there wasn’t much to lose since he was looking so bad before. He is looking slightly better but still not opened up so I will give him another couple days before I pull him

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Too be honest I figured there wasn’t much to lose since he was looking so bad before. He is looking slightly better but still not opened up so I will give him another couple days before I pull him
Put it in an area of high flow and leave it be. I experimented once with peroxide and a frag thought it was dead just left it there and like three weeks later it opened back up

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes dont give up on it. Its amazing how they can make a comeback.

I did the same with a Zoa iodine and H2o2 dip.
Thought I killed it. Shriveled and gross looking for two three weeks.but now its back and is doing fine.

I got a free three headed frag of pulsating zenia.
I had a small bowl of pure H2o2 on the table.
Was cleaning the tiny piece of rock it was on and I dropped it into the bowl.

After a few bad words were said I just took it right to the display tank.
Put it on the floating rock I had intendid it to be on.
It was so small I also thought it was a goner.
After a week I quit checking on it and honestly forgot about it.
So another month passed and one day something small but moving caught my eye on the floating rock.
Two months later it has grown over 2/3s of the rock now with severl hundred heads.

So IME you still have a viable coral, it may take several weeks or more but give it the chance.

In fact because of the almost fail they have become two of my favorites in the tank.

Johnny Slayton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done peroxide dip plenty of times and the zoas will look terrible for a couple days up to a week and they will open up and look great. I've done mostly peroxide with a little water for about 3 minutes and it's never been to strong.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back