*Is to much bottled bacteria bad?*

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed approximately 97ml of Instant Ocean bottled bacteria, in my 29g tank. (Bottle says, “treats up to 75 gallons”)

The back of the bottle says, “Use entire contents”

So my questions is: Can I go ahead and dose the entire bottle, because it says I should? Or is it possible to overdose?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the whole bottle does any more good than 1/2. So save the other half for a few months

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it helpful to pour it into the HOB filter? Or just spread it around the tank?

Also, will active carbon remove any of the bottled bacteria?
spread it around.

Activated carbon, I wouldn't add until a day or so after the bacteria.
Not that activated carbon will likely bind too much, but there's no reason to run it while adding the tank cyclers.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(IMO) Leave the lights off for a few days (some say longer) until you measure that the bottle bac are doing their job regarding ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. a full bottle of biospira should be quick.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly possible to dose too much bacteria. Just like it is possible to do almost anything too much.

But in this context, I doubt it does any harm (and may also not do any good). What are you trying to accomplish?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly possible to dose too much bacteria. Just like it is possible to do almost anything too much.

But in this context, I doubt it does any harm (and may also not do any good). What are you trying to accomplish?
So there’s such thing as “to much” beneficial bacteria?

What are you trying to accomplish?
Trying to cycle the tank quickly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there’s such thing as “to much” beneficial bacteria?

Of course too much is possible. It will just become dead bacteria , polluting the water and raising nutrients, causing blooms of other species, etc.

More is not always better.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course too much is possible. It will just become dead bacteria , polluting the water and raising nutrients, causing blooms of other species, etc.

More is not always better.
I have never heard that to much beneficial bacteria could be a bad thing, in freshwater or saltwater... ;Stop

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these bacteria are not designed to float around, competing for oxygen, no attachment spaces that's one primary reason we don't use cycling bacteria after a cycle

such as a refresher, no refreshers are needed this is marketing to your pockets

and for sure we don't use cycling bac reactively in tank insults, after cycling we don't need more bacteria as nothing we did during the interim removed filtration bac and made our cycle retrograde.

in order to coat your surfaces time is the best offer for an aquarium, anything close to what a cycling chart shows for the ammonia line after adding the right amount from the directions will cycle you just fine. adding more than that wont help as the surface area will become the limiting factor to attachment, the rest is total waste and bioload rot eventually..no vital space attachment for bulk bac means bound for export or internal rot.

You can't do much harm with one bottle during a cycle, there's just no benefit to adding more than needed that's what cycling bacteria producers like for us to do $

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard that to much beneficial bacteria could be a bad thing, in freshwater or saltwater... ;Stop

lol

OK, try this one: you fill the tank using only bottles of "Any Brand" bacteria.

That's too much.

Back