Is white stringy poop necessarily parasites?

criscorrea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy ocellaris couple were the first fish introduced in my aquarium, 9 weeks ago. The female has stringy poops some days. I first noticed the stringy poop 4 weeks ago. Today I noticed for the first time not only stringy but also white. Besides this it looks in great shape, swims normal, eats normal, breaths normal.... What do you guys think, is this necessarily internal parasites and I should treat before other symptoms appear or should I let it be and just pay close attention to other symptoms? In that case, what would those other symptoms be?

I feed them them a frozen mix my LFS prepares that has fish, a bunch of seafood, etc, also some gelatine in it though... maybe its just that!

unnamed (8).jpg

Thanks!

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always. It could also be diet related. If the fish is acting normal and eating okay, You could try mixing up their diet and see if that changes anything. If you’re still seeing white stringy poops though you can try prazipro (but this will kill any worms in your tank, including dusters) or you can simply soak their food in minced garlic for a while before feeding. My clowns came with parasites when I got them and the prazipro fixed them right up.

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish quarantined/treated? If not, I think you know your answer, and the parasite is almost for sure not limited to just that fish now... My understanding is that for the most part, the fish will act and eat normally with parasites- at least for awhile. If things were otherwise, the tell-tale sign would not be stringy poops like that.

I'm not an expert by any means on this so will let others tell you.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are pig's they never will stop eating...haha but could be a parasite...If he's acting normal, he should be able to fight it off without doing anything...My clown and flame angle both get stringy poop for the last 5 years, if I overfeed the tank

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@criscorrea see https://cafishvet.com/2020/01/25/white-stringy-poop-in-fish/

Unless the poop is moving on it's own... you probably don't have to worry.

FYI my new clowns do this too (white stringy poop sometimes), and I've heard several experienced reefers now talk about that this seems to be a clown thing. I wonder if it's the breeding/mariculture that is making them have screwy GIs.

Anyways ignore my previous reply.

OP
OP
C

criscorrea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Trever , indeed I came to the same conclusion and didn't do anything about it. Fish are happy and eating well still, haven't seen any more stringy poop since.. have been feeding a lot less as I realized I was overfeeding and this was causing algae issues. Algae is gone now, no more stringy poop and my aquarium is a beautiful and happy place for fish and corals!

Best,

makingitwork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do it more when I feed a lot of Mysis, I have heard it can happen from a lack of diversity in their diet. Try to feed brine some even eat nori.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back