is xenia, gsp and kenya tree trash???

fishfishbish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if it’s funny or rude. Should I reply?

IMG_6615.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good beginner coral to learn with, everything in stages. normally the people claiming that have moved on to the next stage. nothing wrong with that coral infact I'm sure everyone has once had this coral otherwise they couldn't accurately claim them to be said "trash". I've had all three several times in different tanks.

enjoy every coral and the process of learning to care for coral in a reef aquarium:)

OP
OP
F

fishfishbish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good beginner coral to learn with, everything in stages. normally the people claiming that have moved on to the next stage. nothing wrong with that coral infact I'm sure everyone has once had this coral otherwise they couldn't accurately claim them to be said "trash". I've had all three several times in different tanks.

enjoy every coral and the process of learning to care for coral in a reef aquarium:)
Thanks a lot! That was helpful. I’ll just leave the “trash” comment be and ignore :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give away GSP. Kenya tree is the worst because it's ugly. At least GSP and white pom pom Xenia look decent.
PXL_20230629_004027989.MP-01.jpeg
there's a few types of Kenya tree, and that's a pretty hard opinion, which everyone's entitled too ;) depending on the look and system expectations Kenya tree can be a great coral to have ! it's nice you give away gsp my lfs sells them for 5$ a plug and people are buying them, I wish more people gave it away, maybe you could send some to the OP with free shipping that would be really awesome ;)

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great corals for people starting out because they flourish in the widest array of parameters.

As the learning curve develops in reef keeping these corals are very well at handling the instabilities and bumps in the road and at the same time growing and giving the hobbyist the experience of success and fulfillment.

But at some point these coral flourish too much. And since they are such 'beginners' corals, other reefers with established tanks aren't interested them anymore, and not all fish stores need inventory from every reefer in the neighborhood and they end up in the trash.

I'm a fan of giving these kinds of corals away to people new to the hobby, going thru life issues, or recovering from a tank crash. Some free corals can be huge boost to these people.

And some of these corals have benefits if you know how to keep them in check.

I consider myself an advanced reefer. And a year ago when we started our new 750g tank one of the first corals I sought out was GSP. Bright, Brilliant, Metallic GSP. I mounted it in several spots on the spacious back wall of the tank. In my previous 400g I have patches of Bright green sps that were sq feet in size on the back wall of the tank and they looked great.

Of the corals GSP is probably the easiest to keep in check because it peels up so easily to keep where you want it to.

Dave B

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if it’s funny or rude. Should I reply?

IMG_6615.jpeg
Nothing wrong with these coral. Sure they are not your thousand dollar shinning gem type of coral but still cool coral in my opinion. They do evade the tank space but you can always remove anything.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back