Is Your Reefing Paid For?

Is your Reefing Paid For? (Anonymous, LOL!)

• Yes, I don’t carry a balance on my tank/s

Votes: 87 92.6%
  • No, I pay over time

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if most Reefers pay off their reefing expenses or pay it down over time. This is for the physical equipment and livestock, not utilities to run a tank. Any advantages for either?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certainly not a financial advisor, but if you are financing your reef hobby to "afford it", especially if that involves interest of any kind, then I would assume Dave Ramsey would have some choice words for you and you are not making the best financial decisions (not that any of use always do).

If you can fully afford the hobby and use no interest financing just to feel better not seeing all at once.. then I get it even if it makes no difference in the big picture.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never financed anything including credit card interest in my life except my first house. If I can't afford something, I don't buy it. :)

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can't pay for anything in full, I don't buy it.

Own all my cars (no loans), homes never had mortgages, and no credit card balances. I don't like owing anyone anything.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get in the game. Cheap used diy whatever and then upgrade, trade, beg borrow steal and work on my tank and equipment over time. You'd be surprised how well a reef tank can do on basic equipment. Then I upgrade what it really needs or I just really want

Teri NewbieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take my time and save up to get goodies for the hobby. I've been planning an upgrade for 2 years that has been delayed time and time again due to a fridge going out and needing to fix a furnace... Life happened and wiped out my fish funds. I'm just now starting up my upgrade, but I wouldn't do it any other way.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing on or in my tank cost more than 50$ Hehehe

Ok joking aside everything is paid for, but when I see the numerous people on here that have these 200+g tanks they are building and are like “I’m going to get 6 radions” I wonder the same thing myself.

If you need help with purchase you might be unprepared for, paypal has Pay in 4 where they take the total purchase and divide it into 4 even payments with zero interest.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cash only
Financing reefing is not a purchase but often a gamble (problems that occur)

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For large purchases I buy used. For smaller purchases I keep it within my budget and pay cash.

But I do have to wonder on some of these large builds with all brand new equipment that are ticking upwards of $15k-20k in just equipment. Definitely are wealthy people out there but crazy to be able to drop that much.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should try to always buy upfront in every life aspect. whole world got used to living on loans/credit
I wouldn't even know how to pay something off on credit. :oops: I also never understood why people would buy something, then pay 5 or 10 times more for it over time. It just makes no sense to me.

If you don't have money, you will have much less money if you buy with credit. Especially something stupid and not needed like a fish tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paid for? Yup..

Sadly, it's paid for by me.. :frowning-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back