Isochrysis dosing in display tank?

Gregg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I started this in the wrong forum, maybe a mod can move it.

I am wondering if anyone doses Isochrysis into their display tank. I currently culture Nanno to feed to my copepod cultures and also dose it into my display tank daily. I am thinking of starting an Iso culture for my pod culturel. Anyone dose Isochrysis into their display or is it only used for culturing pods, larvae, etc? Would there be any reason to NOT dose Iso to a display? Any benefits to dosing both Iso and Nanno or is it not worth the extra effort?

Thanks for any input!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I started this in the wrong forum, maybe a mod can move it.

I am wondering if anyone doses Isochrysis into their display tank. I currently culture Nanno to feed to my copepod cultures and also dose it into my display tank daily. I am thinking of starting an Iso culture for my pod culturel. Anyone dose Isochrysis into their display or is it only used for culturing pods, larvae, etc? Would there be any reason to NOT dose Iso to a display? Any benefits to dosing both Iso and Nanno or is it not worth the extra effort?

Thanks for any input!
Hopefully more people will chime in for you here, but, personally, I don’t see a reason not to dose Iso if you have excess available. That said, though, I don’t know that you’ll see any benefits if you’re already dosing Nanno.

Edit: Also, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gregg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully more people will chime in for you here, but, personally, I don’t see a reason not to dose Iso if you have excess available. That said, though, I don’t know that you’ll see any benefits if you’re already dosing Nanno.

Edit: Also, welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thanks for the response! (And the welcome - been a lurker for a while)...now I just need to expand my plankton culture area to get an Iso culture started... I use the closet under the stairs and have 4 nanno jars, 3 Tigropis cultures and 1 of another copepod that I don't know the species of, plus hatch brine shrimp on occasion.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if I could.

Nanno is very common and easy to culture, but others are almost impossible to find, at least where I live. I also used to culture tetraselmis, but its harder to culture, and when my culture ruined I could not find replacement.

I was just googling about isochrysis, and apparently it is the main phyto used for aquaculture bivalves, so I would really like to add that to my tank if I could.

Upvote 0

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, i culture 4 kinds of phytoplankton and dose directly to tank, iso is one of the 4. I got mine from @Eldredge and never had one one of his crash. Highly recommend, he helped me with deciding which 4 species to culture.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back