Issue with GHL salinity measurements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

miksuv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

A quick question from me, i have a new P4 and i calibrated the Salinity twice, and on both times i am getting readings that are much higher than my just calibrated Hanna checker. One thing i also noticed that my 3 other temp probes were showing different than the GHL probe, this i adjusted manually.

Calibration 1: Calibration fluid in the tank - Normal calibration process
Calibration 2 Measure calibration fluid with P4 probe and use the value for the calibration process.

In both cases the P4 sensor is showing 36.1-36.3. And my Hanna that was calibrated (twice calibrated with their fluid) shows 34.8PSU. I would understand a small deviation but we are talking of a much larger difference.

@Vinny@GHLUSA what would be your guidance?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

A quick question from me, i have a new P4 and i calibrated the Salinity twice, and on both times i am getting readings that are much higher than my just calibrated Hanna checker. One thing i also noticed that my 3 other temp probes were showing different than the GHL probe, this i adjusted manually.

Calibration 2 Measure calibration fluid with P4 probe and use the value for the calibration process.

In both cases the P4 sensor is showing 36.1-36.3. And my Hanna that was calibrated (twice calibrated with their fluid) shows 34.8PSU. I would understand a small deviation but we are talking of a much larger difference.

Per the previous discussion, I believe that the only # that will correlate with other meters is GHL density reading...

Per reef calculators, 53ms/cm = 35ppt (35psu) and 1.0234 kg/l (1.0264 sg)

So to get a match, you need to convert GHL density to meters equivalent.

So if your Hanna is measuring 34.8psu, your GHL density should be 1.0232kg/l.

Just curious if this is true for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Pee the previous discussion, I believe that the only # that will correlate with other meters is their GHL density reading...1.0233 kg/l =

Oops..

Last edited:
OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I actually just re-calibrated my GHL conductivity probe last week (measurements were runnng a little high) and my tank has completed adjustment to target...

What I trust: High-precision Hydrometer
20211020_104011.jpg

My calibrated GHL:

SmartSelect_20211020-104146_GHL Connect.jpg

SmartSelect_20211020-104204_GHL Connect.jpg

SmartSelect_20211020-104223_GHL Connect.jpg

My Hanna which always reads a little low...

20211020_104830.jpg

GHL density # is perfect match with High-precision hydrometer per conversion calculator https://reefapp.net/en/salinity-calculator

SmartSelect_20211020-105033_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I actually just re-calibrated my GHL conductivity probe last week (measurements were runnng a little high) and my tank has completed adjustment to target...

What I trust: High-precision Hydrometer
20211020_104011.jpg
For my own sanity, what would you consider the hydrometer to be reading in this picture?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back