Issue with zoas

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few days some of my zoas have been closing up. The odd thing about it is, they are closing up in groups depending on color morph. It started with my green zoas and now my tubbs blue zoas. I don't see any parasites on them. I won't have test results until tomorrow afternoon. My salt mix is giving the new water a yellowish tint. Any ideas?

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am having the same problem with some of my hornets and they open and close from time to time. they can be finiky with water perameters and especially if your water is very clean, they like the dirty water. as for your salt i would test a new batch for everything and if it continues i would contact the maker, possibly a bad lot.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am having the same problem with some of my hornets and they open and close from time to time. they can be finiky with water perameters and especially if your water is very clean, they like the dirty water. as for your salt i would test a new batch for everything and if it continues i would contact the maker, possibly a bad lot.

I did just get one of the modded impellers from Luke for my SWC 160 Xtreme Cone about 2 weeks ago. This started last week. My skimmer waste has increased since the new addition. I wonder if that could be the issue. I also replaced my carbon two weeks ago. The old carbon was in the reactor for a few months. Do you think the cleaner water mixed with the clearer water allowing more light to reach the zoas could be the issue?

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a possibility they might be getting burned by the light. i would try turning the skimmer of at night or turning it down a bit. is the tank mainly lps or sps?

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a possibility they might be getting burned by the light. i would try turning the skimmer of at night or turning it down a bit. is the tank mainly lps or sps?

I would say coral composition consists of 15% zoas and softies, 35% sps, and 50% lps.

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. the new skimmer may be making the water to clean and like you said along with the carbon the water may be letting more light in play with your skimmer and after any adjustment let them go for a few days. you may want to try to move the colony into a shadier area of the aquarium.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. the new skimmer may be making the water to clean and like you said along with the carbon the water may be letting more light in play with your skimmer and after any adjustment let them go for a few days. you may want to try to move the colony into a shadier area of the aquarium.

They are in the shadiest spot I have, literally not under the light. I have a 36" 6-bulb t5ho tek light centered over a 48" 75G tank.

I hung my fixture, so I just raised it as high as I could. I'm not sure how to make my skimmer work "worse" if you will.

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tune down the bubbles just a tad so the column does not rise all the way. or close off all bubbles for a night to allow some waste to build up. what are the parameters?

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tune down the bubbles just a tad so the column does not rise all the way. or close off all bubbles for a night to allow some waste to build up. what are the parameters?

I won't have them until tomorrow afternoon. Long story.

I just fed the poo out of the tank. I will also tone down the bubble production of the skimmer.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem but i would defiantly check into that batch of salt...what brand is it?

SeaChem Reef Salt. I just sent an email to seachem and made a new batch of saltwater to test as well. Hopefully it is just the salt playing tricks on me.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine have been doing this also.
they rotate between polyps within the same colony

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully it is just the salt only because you found the problem and it does not leave you in the dark questioning yourself, hope everything goes well!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using reef crystals. i think mine is light related or its fish related. im hoping not the later.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully it is just the salt only because you found the problem and it does not leave you in the dark questioning yourself, hope everything goes well!

I am hoping this as well. I made 15G for a WC to do tonight after lights out, but I will be waiting until tomorrow when I test the new water. This is the first time I noticed the discoloration.

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping this as well. I made 15G for a WC to do tonight after lights out, but I will be waiting until tomorrow when I test the new water. This is the first time I noticed the discoloration.
are you putting the discolored water into the tank tonight?!

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you adding the discolored water to the tank?!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its is a possibility what size tank? fish? and lighting do you have?...parameters?

75...mag. foxface.....leds... surely jacked, but the byropsis is starting to go.

i wouldnt put that yellow water in there thats not a great sign.

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75...mag. foxface.....leds... surely jacked, but the byropsis is starting to go.

i wouldnt put that yellow water in there thats not a great sign.
aggreed as for your salt i would make a batch and test it for anything abnormall it is a common thing for polyps but as for metalfans water it could be a bad batch i would wait on the water change!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back