issues with my reef octopus skimmer

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a reef octropus 200 int classic skimmer about 2 years old. that has a aquatrance 3000 pump on it. ive noticed the pump acts kinda wierd. seems like the output will vary and fade in and out. it will be skimming normal then all of a sudden like turbo mode and has a noticible hum coming from air silencer. also the output water starts splashing more. has anyone else exsperienced this with there skimmer? is it a sign of a bad pump?bad impeller? completely dis assembled and cleaned and it looks fine no build up or broken impeller needles.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a nice skimmer! It may or may not be the pump. It could also be the air intake - I know that you said that it was completely cleaned, but it could also be the air intake. You may want to reach out to support@coralvue for further assistance or look at their help guides on line. Good luck!

#reefoctopus

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am a big fan of ReefOcto skimmers.

Heat some RO water. Draw it into a syringe and blast into the airline hose a few times and see if that settles it down.

Yes, I have had success with this as well. Jake Adams mentioned this at one of the MACNA talks recently (maybe 2019?).

OP
OP
schneid0c

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replys i tried the above suggested and its still doing it. its almost like the pump has 2 stages it will be fine for a few min then all of a sudden the output is much faster and makes the water in body rise.then after awhile will slow down. just to be clear i do know how skimmers will freak out if there is pollutants in the water this is not the case this is a clear change in pump output.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replys i tried the above suggested and its still doing it. its almost like the pump has 2 stages it will be fine for a few min then all of a sudden the output is much faster and makes the water in body rise.then after awhile will slow down. just to be clear i do know how skimmers will freak out if there is pollutants in the water this is not the case this is a clear change in pump output.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing. Please send an email to our support staff so we can get this resolved for ya! You can reach us at [email protected]. That will generate a trouble ticket that remains open until your case is resolved. We'll take good care of you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back