Issues with Viparspectra V165?

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Viparspectra V165 to go over a 40 Breeder that I'm moving all of my corals and fish into. As I went to set up the light, I noticed that mine only changes in increments of 10 and not in increments of 1 like all of the others I've seen before. Anyone ever run into this and figure out how to change it in increments of 1 instead of 10?

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6.
That’s not correct for this light.
You may like 1 as white.
Return it.
Perfect. That's exactly what I thought. Already submitted a replacement request through Amazon for it. Thankfully I have mostly softies in there so the blue should be enough to keep everything going until the new one gets here Monday.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. That's exactly what I thought. Already submitted a replacement request through Amazon for it. Thankfully I have mostly softies in there so the blue should be enough to keep everything going until the new one gets here Monday.
I’ve run straight blues for more than 6 months at a time.
Lots of time.
Good luck.

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of a downgrade huh
If the replacement does the same thing, I'll probably just return it for a refund at that point. 10% white is far too much and definitely wasn't what I would expect from it. 10% intervals is a huge downgrade for this.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the replacement does the same thing, I'll probably just return it for a refund at that point. 10% white is far too much and definitely wasn't what I would expect from it. 10% intervals is a huge downgrade for this.
Unless you get lucky and find an "old" model it will probably be the same 10%.
Hacking them and adding a different controller can be painful.

Probably easier and cheaper to just swap diodes which is relatively easy.

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you get lucky and find an "old" model it will probably be the same 10%.
Hacking them and adding a different controller can be painful.

Probably easier and cheaper to just swap diodes which is relatively easy.
I'm hoping that I may end up with an old one in the exchange of this one but in the event I do get stuck with a newer model, I'll find something different and run that instead. I'll probably go with the Nicrew HyperReef 150 in place of this.

Last edited:

sealed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Viparspectra V165 to go over a 40 Breeder that I'm moving all of my corals and fish into. As I went to set up the light, I noticed that mine only changes in increments of 10 and not in increments of 1 like all of the others I've seen before. Anyone ever run into this and figure out how to change it in increments of 1 instead of 10?
What have you been using as your light settings and how high is it above the tank? I’ve got the same light and same tank size.

OP
OP
King_Acidic

King_Acidic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been using as your light settings and how high is it above the tank? I’ve got the same light and same tank size.
I ended up doing a bit more research and was able to confirm that as of October 2022, the new batch only adjusts in increments of 10. I opted to return mine as it wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. I went with a Nicrew HyperReef 150 mounted 14" over the tank. Currently running that at 75% blue and 5% white as it adjusts in increments of 5 but is still far better than 10% increments.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back