It’s happening.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank filling today- got 80 lbs of live sand and about 5 pieces of live rock for my bacteria to inhabit until I get more rock

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great start. Did you wash can out first? Check your TDS as you are filling.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh crap I didn’t wash the cab out first. TDS at 0 though. Should I restart and wash out the can, or will it be ok
I personally would restart but you can also monitor the TDS/PH of water as you are filling. Would be a shame though if there is an issue after waiting so long

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would restart but you can also monitor the TDS/PH of water as you are filling. Would be a shame though if there is an issue after waiting so long
The TDS is still at 0 and my parents don’t think that anything would happen so they won’t let me restart it. Now I’m worried lol

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could be in the trash can? Do you mean the TDS I should be worried about??

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank filling today- got 80 lbs of live sand and about 5 pieces of live rock for my bacteria to inhabit until I get more rock

image.jpg
Congrats! Remember that this is a marathon, not a race. You have embarked on a long and rewarding journey.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Remember that this is a marathon, not a race. You have embarked on a long and rewarding journey.
Thank you lol! Do you know what vetteguy53081 means about the can? I wiped all the sides off just not the bottom, and I’m monitoring tds which continues to be at 0.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest always washing items before introducing them into a salt water environment. Manufacturing often leaves oils and other chemicals that are not easily detected on surfaces as part of the process. This includes skimmers, pumps, containers, etc. It takes a few minutes and keeps unknown contaminants out of the tank.

Keep in mind a TDS reader will not measure many of those chemicals.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest always washing items before introducing them into a salt water environment. Manufacturing often leaves oils and other chemicals that are not easily detected on surfaces as part of the process. This includes skimmers, pumps, containers, etc. It takes a few minutes and keeps unknown contaminants out of the tank.

Keep in mind a TDS reader will not measure many of those chemicals.
I wiped down the sides with clean rodi water and a towel, just not the bottom. I am trying to restart but my parents won’t let me

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you lol! Do you know what vetteguy53081 means about the can? I wiped all the sides off just not the bottom, and I’m monitoring tds which continues to be at 0.
+1 on what @[Cameron] said. There may be packing residue... or if purchased at a big box store, overspray of chemicals, fertilizer, etc... you just never know.
Going forward, clean everything - including tanks. If you can't turn back, just go forward watching carefully and testing your parameters regularly. If you run into hiccups, let us know.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what @[Cameron] said. There may be packing residue... or if purchased at a big box store, overspray of chemicals, fertilizer, etc... you just never know.
Going forward, clean everything - including tanks. If you can't turn back, just go forward watching carefully and testing your parameters regularly. If you run into hiccups, let us know.
Yeah my parents aren’t letting me lol. I wiped all sides down though. If I move the water to one side of the can, I can wipe down the bottom- should I do that?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That way the trash can will be all wiped down, about 2 inches in can.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That way the trash can will be all wiped down, about 2 inches in can.
The can is made of plastic and petroleum products. Distillates can leach not to mention any handling by persons. Sterilize in better terms before use.
I failed to do this and was ready to have my daughter find another home for her cat, to find out the urine smell was the can leaching whatever it was. Rinsed it with bleach/water mix and no more smells.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wiped down the sides with clean rodi water and a towel, just not the bottom. I am trying to restart but my parents won’t let me

How much water have you made?

Rinsing the barrel is an important step. But I wouldn't worry about it. Fill the tank, run it with carbon for a day or two and then continue on with cycling.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water have you made?

Rinsing the barrel is an important step. But I wouldn't worry about it. Fill the tank, run it with carbon for a day or two and then continue on with cycling.
So I cant start the cycle tonight? I have chemi pure blue, but no carbon. What if I threw that in there? Could I throw in my beneficial bacteria tonight with my chemi pure?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cant start the cycle tonight? I have chemi pure blue, but no carbon. What if I threw that in there? Could I throw in my beneficial bacteria tonight with my chemi pure?
Chemipure includes activated carbon, so you're fine with that (just follow instructions on how much of it to use for your size tank--don't put in more).

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure includes activated carbon, so you're fine with that (just follow instructions on how much of it to use for your size tank--don't put in more).
Sweet! Can I add my bacteria tonight? Along with my chemi pure?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back