It came with the job!

Nicroper

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2021
Messages
48
Reaction score
110
Location
Poplar Bluff Mo
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I started a new job last year, and with it came a 10 gallon regular glass tank with the "normal hood" and an in-tank turtle filter. At first glance I was assuming it to be freshwater but with further inspection I realized it was in fact saltwater. What was in it you ask....5 sea urchins, 3 brittle starfish, 2 rock flower anemones and 0 live rock. I have a bit of saltwater experience from many years ago and knew right from the start this setup would never work. Since then I have been reading anything and everything to get myself back in the loop with saltwater aquarium setup and care. This site has been such a great help! Let me also say that my job is at a community college and there are strict budgets and spending rules. This setup is also located in the classroom and intended for student use. Mostly observation, with a bit of hands on when I get some of the smaller inverts out while cleaning and such. I went out and found a good price on an already setup 29 gallon nano-cube and got some live rock. The cube had sand substrate, snails, a couple hermit crabs and some GSP. I took all the water and substrate from the original setup as well as the filter media. This was so I would have little to no cycle time. I got it all setup and ran it for a couple days before moving all the inhabitants over. All the original inhabitants came from places like Ward's and Carolina, which are companies for school/college supplies. I kept the original 10 gallon setup and have made it the "saltwater swamp". It currently had loads of aptasia and bristle worms. I have been slowly upgrading it with better lights and filtration. I have only added the platys/zoas since the setup. I hope to keep improving the setups little by little as I go. I don't have any pictures of the original tank, so all pics are of current setup. Thanks for having me and thanks for reading!

lab tank.jpg tank4.jpg tank5.jpg labtank2.jpg
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
So, I started a new job last year, and with it came a 10 gallon regular glass tank with the "normal hood" and an in-tank turtle filter. At first glance I was assuming it to be freshwater but with further inspection I realized it was in fact saltwater. What was in it you ask....5 sea urchins, 3 brittle starfish, 2 rock flower anemones and 0 live rock. I have a bit of saltwater experience from many years ago and knew right from the start this setup would never work. Since then I have been reading anything and everything to get myself back in the loop with saltwater aquarium setup and care. This site has been such a great help! Let me also say that my job is at a community college and there are strict budgets and spending rules. This setup is also located in the classroom and intended for student use. Mostly observation, with a bit of hands on when I get some of the smaller inverts out while cleaning and such. I went out and found a good price on an already setup 29 gallon nano-cube and got some live rock. The cube had sand substrate, snails, a couple hermit crabs and some GSP. I took all the water and substrate from the original setup as well as the filter media. This was so I would have little to no cycle time. I got it all setup and ran it for a couple days before moving all the inhabitants over. All the original inhabitants came from places like Ward's and Carolina, which are companies for school/college supplies. I kept the original 10 gallon setup and have made it the "saltwater swamp". It currently had loads of aptasia and bristle worms. I have been slowly upgrading it with better lights and filtration. I have only added the platys/zoas since the setup. I hope to keep improving the setups little by little as I go. I don't have any pictures of the original tank, so all pics are of current setup. Thanks for having me and thanks for reading!

lab tank.jpg tank4.jpg tank5.jpg labtank2.jpg
Lucky kids to have a teacher like you. Welcome to the salty family!
Severus Snape School GIF by Harry Potter
 
Lucky kids to have a teacher like you. Welcome to the salty family!
Severus Snape School GIF by Harry Potter
I am actually the lab manager not a teacher. Sorry, I should have stated that. I do like to make things interesting and pretty for the students tho! I would like to get a mantis shrimp for them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new