IT HAS A MOUTH?! Tubelike soft coral?

IntegrousT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been adding corals to my soft-coral aquarium lately, and I came across this interesting coral that stood out in the store where they had no other soft corals, nobody there knew what it was, it was only $9, I had to have it. Under blues it glows green and purple, tonight it showed its "true colors" and opened the hole at the top into this giant mouth! Its about 2" tall from the rock to the top of the mouth, when the mouth is closed it looks like a little elephant trunk. Kinda sweet if you ask me. But I'm a nerd for soft corals and would love to identify it. Any ideas?

Also any ideas on the cyano? Hasnt bothered anybody yet, but its kinda ugly, tried upping the flow today, high flow areas currently dont have any cyano. Thanks!
1000003705.jpg
1000003701.jpg

OP
OP
I

IntegrousT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be an Acrozoanthus, but it's hard to tell without seeing it full opened
Excellent suggestion, it does look alot like other types of those. I HOPE it is that. So would the acrozoanthus have these little side bumps? Maybe new polyps along the "stem"?

OP
OP
I

IntegrousT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been staring at your pictures and then I thought…these might be snake polyp coral! I’ve never seen in person but have seen online before

Is this it? There’s a few variations
THATS IT!! THANK YOU! This was driving me nuts. These are so cool. It is exactly a snake polyp coral.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THATS IT!! THANK YOU! This was driving me nuts. These are so cool. It is exactly a snake polyp coral.
They are one of those unique corals you don’t really hear about because they aren’t commonly sold. Great find! I would have bought them also, especially for 9$ what a bargain

With a mouth like that you should see if they feed on mysis, if not maybe something smaller like benereef

OP
OP
I

IntegrousT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of those unique corals you don’t really hear about because they aren’t commonly sold. Great find! I would have bought them also, especially for 9$ what a bargain
This made my day. Ive been digging around for cool softies and this was one of those little impulse buys that ended up paying off. It was shrivled up and covered in aptasia. Got it all cleaned up and dropped it in today. Glad to see its open.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great find the weird and wonderful are more interesting than the normal stuff great find

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, Snake polyps, easy care , night time filter feeder, hearty coral , nice find... ;)
20240504_084328.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back