It has arrived! Day 1, Red Sea Max Nano

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that shrimp in the video of your tank is dead then you have too much ammonia in the tank.......
LOL.... just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Hey nice video, everything looks great ! You mentioned putting the green star polyp on its own rock in your video. That is a very good idea. It is a nice coral but will spread fast.

I had a tank full of amazing SPS that I paid a fortune for and some green star polyps on a rock in the sand I paid $15 for. Anyone that came over and looked at the tank always said how cool the GSP was before even noticing the SPS..... :rolleyes:

Good luck

CamG

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question! I need advice.

So I'm 1 week into the cycle and I realized my Aquascape isnt stable at all. Looks cool but the rocks are all wobbly. I have the 1/4'' arcylic rods and Jurassic glue.
Will the rock/cycle be ok if I take it out of the water for a bit to do some drilling/gluing?

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question! I need advice.

So I'm 1 week into the cycle and I realized my Aquascape isnt stable at all. Looks cool but the rocks are all wobbly. I have the 1/4'' arcylic rods and Jurassic glue.
Will the rock/cycle be ok if I take it out of the water for a bit to do some drilling/gluing?

That's an awesome looking tank! Scape looks good and I would have thought you had one before. Since it's early on in the cycle you'll be okay. there might be some bacteria die off and cause it to cycle a little longer buy try to keep the wet like Jason Mack said.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question! I need advice.

I'm guessing your base is strong and the problem is the top rocks? I used quite a bit of Two Fishes epoxy to create a base for my rocks. *If* the issue is awkward contact points, consider using epoxy to fill in gaps (along with your glue) so they have a nice structural connection.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was the top rock. I just drilled 2 holes and used to short pieces of acrylic. Its better but not perfect. Honestly, I think Id be happier with Epoxy.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reef cement .. mix it like mortar and it drys quick .. can also be used under water .. did all mine with it and never had too use acrylic rods

IMG_2290.JPG

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep that in mind for my next tank, which wont be to far in the future. :)

I just ordered some epoxy. The glue looks like crap. Not that it matters, itll be covered in coral soon enough :)
32660606713_959f0155b0_h.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a product called Stone Fix link since my scape and system were cycled. I made a small ball and set the lose pieces that I had in the DT, in the water. Yes I had some clouding of the water, but no big deal. I just let the pieces set in the water and the product set up in a matter of a couple of hours. I also used large balls of IO hold fast epoxy and that held well but not like the stone fix.

My suggestion would to be to pull the rock and use the stone fix and let is set for 24 hours and place the rock back into the tank. As @buckroe07 stated it may extend out your cycle, but you will have a strong and secure bond that looks like the rock. I one problem I have read and see in my tank is that the epoxy dose not have the coraline growing on it after a year and a half.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reef cement .. mix it like mortar and it drys quick .. can also be used under water .. did all mine with it and never had too use acrylic rods

IMG_2290.JPG
yeah, looks great btw.

Ill def resecure the rocks again soon.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New topic.
I put my mp10 in gyre mode and it blew my sand all over. Now it's on lagoon mode and it seems much better.

Sorry. I'm obsessed with this tank.

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 days into the cycle and this happened.
I made some rookie mistakes. I added coral before the cycle was over. I took my rock out to re-epoxy it( kept it wet). My RO/di topoff water has been just sitting in a bucket (not sure if it needs to be sealed)

Will this be ok?

33189657090_6560155c6e_b.jpg

32729752404_1d5030fc8e_b.jpg

My zoas

33418265366_8b4d2da379_b.jpg

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I would try and flatten out your light if possible. Sorry if someone else already said that! Welcome and sick tank!

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in this hobby we're all guilty of jumping ahead... sometimes that's the fun part.[emoji16]

if your water parms are good, your zoas do alright... they're hardy

Michael Joye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a young tank should be. You are going to have a few different blooms that can happen. I don't know if it brown or yellow.

I had first a diatom blood that turn into cyno then to algae. Now the algae bloom is finally going way. I wish I know about the different blooms that happen during the cycling. It was scare to wake up on day and my tank is covered with brown crap.

This is a good post to tell you the process of cycling the tank and the different blooms that can

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameter update

Salinity -1.025
Temp-79.3
Ph-8.0
Ammonia-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back