It might be time to say goodbye to my female clownfish....

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a tiger watchman goby he died yesterday after we put him in a breeder box. And his mouth was open when he was dead. My female clownfish would not leave that fish alone he wasn't even bothering her she kept looking for him and bit him. I feel so bad because he was so stressed because of the clownfish and I don't have the heart to get rid of any of them. Because of this, that goby died a stressful death because of me. I like having multiple fish and unfortunately, if that means I have to swap Paris out then sadly I might have to do that or wait until I get a bigger tank. Her aggression has eased down ever since the tussle I had with her and getting her into a fish net (getting ready to take her back to the store). They don't bother the fire shrimp unless he's in the way, they also let him sit on their fake nem sometimes. The male clown is fine, his tailwhips are practically harmless but the female goes into full biting mode. Is it maybe a disorder? She acted like a terrorist to that goby and had him trying to jump out and escape, that goby had the worst 2 days of his short time with us.

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a tiger watchman goby he died yesterday after we put him in a breeder box. And his mouth was open when he was dead. My female clownfish would not leave that fish alone he wasn't even bothering her she kept looking for him and bit him. I feel so bad because he was so stressed because of the clownfish and I don't have the heart to get rid of any of them. Because of this, that goby died a stressful death because of me. I like having multiple fish and unfortunately, if that means I have to swap Paris out then sadly I might have to do that or wait until I get a bigger tank. Her aggression has eased down ever since the tussle I had with her and getting her into a fish net (getting ready to take her back to the store). They don't bother the fire shrimp unless he's in the way, they also let him sit on their fake nem sometimes. The male clown is fine, his tailwhips are practically harmless but the female goes into full biting mode. Is it maybe a disorder? She acted like a terrorist to that goby and had him trying to jump out and escape, that goby had the worst 2 days of his short time with us.
Just had to get rid of my clownfish pair this weekend as well. The female was going after my resident wrasse and bit off multiple chunks of his tail and fins. The clowns and wrasse were in my tank since I started so this aggression literally came out of nowhere. Hopefully you have luck on your journey!

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to get rid of my clownfish pair this weekend as well. The female was going after my resident wrasse and bit off multiple chunks of his tail and fins. The clowns and wrasse were in my tank since I started so this aggression literally came out of nowhere. Hopefully you have luck on your journey!
Ouch! The female bit some of the goby's fin off. I don't plan to get rid of her now.. but if It comes to that I might have to.

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank 40 gal? Clownfish are territorial so they do need space be comfortable with other tank mates. As they become mature and, particularly, preparing to spawn the aggression really comes out. If your tank is too small, it doesn't end well for some of the other inhabitants.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have bad attitudes.
Some do not.
Simple Occs usually ok.
IMG_1638.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mouth open may signify low oxygen but once a female clown gets the aggression attitude, they have the feel to take over the tank, chase and bite others and even the owner.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back