Are my clownfish a pair?

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory on the female:
I bought my first two clownfish back in June. Tragically the male died and I got another clownfish a few weeks later which I suppose gives her enough time to become a female. She had her territory and everything. I introduced the male and first I had to have a breeder box but later I let him in and they were doing fine.

The female DOES push him around but the female DOES NOT try to kill him. Whenever she's in another place besides her hosting spot the male will follow. If the male goes back to their territory she will go back and sometimes she follows him around in the tank. They're both fed equally the female does not try and hog any food from him. The male consistently picks with the rocks of their hosting spot and marks his territory by digging in the sand, and the female marks their territory as well. Sometimes when she pushes him and "nips" him he turns around and his chin starts moving maybe communicating with her. But then he starts twitching. They both sleep in some parts of the same area the female will sleep on the sand while the male sleeps on the fake anemone plant I have mind you this is very close to where she's sleeping, they don't sleep together but near each other. They also both pitch in to aggressively move the hermit crabs away from their territory, or tailwhip it.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
the twitching shows that they are accepting the other as being the dominant, usually done by the smaller male clownfish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back