Its alive!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank currently runs and cycles water! Lol. This is a milestone for sure. A pinpoint. Im confident to cycle my rock in fw and eventually add heater and salt. ": ) no drips. Plumbing good to go.
Ive attached pictures of my dining room to lol for amusement. Happy monday all.
I didnt want to set up such a large display after having a long break from tanking and i might want to take a 10+day vacation someday. Also a little intemidating after such a break.

Stepping stone. Patience. Goosefrabba or whatever. Ahhh my anxiety! Add animals add animals.
D

IMG_20210222_142709_757.jpg 20210222_142413.jpg 20210222_142433.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding and congratulations!
Just an opinion, mind you... Starting out with saltwater, is, I think, a bit more beneficial than the freshwater switch to salt method. Not all nitrifying bacteria are the same in both environments. This way you keep and maintain the population of bacteria that will benefit you the most in the marine environment with little to no die-off of your bacteria. The amount of salt you are saving is nominal in a tank that size in my opinion vs the long-term benefit of starting off with saltwater. Best of luck and hold the course!
Now, all that goes out the door if you are using old live rock that you wish to rid of pests, in which case, fresh to salt is a solid method.

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup p dub im gonna have read that and re read that but the rock is old dead dry live rock. There is a lot of die off and tje rock needs to be cleaned and cycled if that makes sense. I didnt clean it when i removed it. Just dryed it in sun.
D

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup p dub im gonna have read that and re read that but the rock is old dead dry live rock. There is a lot of die off and tje rock needs to be cleaned and cycled if that makes sense. I didnt clean it when i removed it. Just dryed it in sun.
D
In which case, we can assume nothing pest-worthy is still alive. So, I'd go saltwater cycle instead. Let the nitrifying bacteria build-up and feed off of the decaying organics. Let this one ride. I'd, personally, do a 3-4 month cycle. Don't forget to test weekly for ammonia and then nitrates, nitrites, and phosphates. Let the levels tell you what to do.

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes im gonna clean the water. Start a cycle with the die off. Wait. Wait. Wait. Add live rock and soft cycle. Wait wait wait. Lol.
Eventually i will add light and fish and softies.
Hopefully gonna ride this out like you said and wait the 8 months to 1 yr for sps and nems.
Id like to do a nice mixed reef with only 2 or so sps. To keep my alk and cal demand down. Ive got a life reef calcium reactor and c02 bottle. The whole set up rig ive never used...
D

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with $125 i think in amazon gift cards via xmas and work. :) cant wait to blow reef $ lol
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS TV had an interesting point in a recent video - insta-cycle with corals - lol - the frag will carry with it the biodiversity and they can help soak up the N and Ps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You’re in. First of hurdles

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above .
it would be more beneficial to start with salt from the start as the nitrifying bacteria for both systems are different .

welcome back and happy reefing

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My tank currently runs and cycles water! Lol. This is a milestone for sure. A pinpoint. Im confident to cycle my rock in fw and eventually add heater and salt. ": ) no drips. Plumbing good to go.

It's good when you do the plumbing and there are no leaks. Now is the time to fine tune the water noise.
Not sure about what you said about " Cycle" and "Freshwater" in the same sentence.
Give me a call if you have any questions or want to bounce ideas.
My number is the same.

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the water is actually moving and cycling from the sump to the display. Lol. Sorry all. I am just running fw to clean my stinky rock a little. Their will still be stuff their to actual start cycle in sw yes.
D

Back