It's all @Paul B's fault... my journey to an immune reef (hopefully!)

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dettol smells just like Coral dip RX;)
Add 3 to 5 drops per 1 litre of water and dip for 3 minutes.
Here is a how to YouTube vid. There are variations on the theme

Thank you very much for this I keep Dettol in the House so I have[emoji23] never used coral Rx yet I do have a bottle but I’ve always used brightwell dip with good success. Once again thank you.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use DDT :eek:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for this I keep Dettol in the House so I have[emoji23] never used coral Rx yet I do have a bottle but I’ve always used brightwell dip with good success. Once again thank you.

Your welcome and it seems Dettol is very forgiving if you add a bit too much, not I would advise it. I dip all incoming frags and corals with it and have never had a problem due to using it.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dipped anything. I feel hitchikers are free livestock. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dettol smells just like Coral dip RX;)
Add 3 to 5 drops per 1 litre of water and dip for 3 minutes.
Here is a how to YouTube vid. There are variations on the theme

The difference between 3 and 5 drops per liter of water is a big percentage change. Is it really doing something or is it homeopathy. When would a person use 3 drops - when would a person use 5. Are some corals more susceptible (i.e. use 3 drops) to ill effects. Thanks.). Maybe its explained in teh video - it didnt play for me

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the video it was 0.5 ml per liter I for get the time lol

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between 3 and 5 drops per liter of water is a big percentage change. Is it really doing something or is it homeopathy. When would a person use 3 drops - when would a person use 5. Are some corals more susceptible (i.e. use 3 drops) to ill effects. Thanks.). Maybe its explained in teh video - it didnt play for me

I think this is true of any the dips we use. Where there is a difference between highest safe dose and the lowest effective dose, where anything that falls in the middle is able to be used. I know in threads dealing with AEFW there is some discussion of lower dosage longer time and others higher dosage less time. I relate to developing b&w photos and developer temp.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have a Question for Lasse, Paul B, and Atoll. When you guys add a new fish to your tanks How do you introduce them? do you drip acclimate or not?

I add some water from my tank to their container a few times until the salinity is close, sometimes 15 minutes and dump it in. If the salinity is the same, I add some water and in about 5 minutes, dump it in. I don't introduce them by name because I don't speak fish.
But I don't think I ever lost a fish putting it in my tank.

I used to drip many years ago but I feel that puts too much strain on the fish and I think they want to go right in.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add some water from my tank to their container a few times until the salinity is close, sometimes 15 minutes and dump it in. If the salinity is the same, I add some water and in about 5 minutes, dump it in. I don't introduce them by name because I don't speak fish.
But I don't think I ever lost a fish putting it in my tank.

I used to drip many years ago but I feel that puts too much strain on the fish and I think they want to go right in.
Thank you that's the way I have done it for a long time I have a shot glass i put tank water in the bag with,

OP
OP
Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times we can't tell exactly what is wrong with our fish because we can't see viruses, but they are there in huge numbers impacting the behavior of our fish, algae, bacteria and parasites

Natural sea water is a minefield... 100 billion (yes, billion) viruses in a litre of seawater. The vast majority of those are viruses which infect bacteria and other viruses... there's even super massive viruses that infect algae and those have viruses that infect the viruses that infect them... the whole sea is awash with death and despair and (to keep @PaulB happy) the plague... but fish and other animals thrive. IMO this is mainly down to the food, but bacterial diversity plays a huge part (even if there's only 10 billion of those per litre). It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that nature has devised a way of fish keeping healthy by consuming the very things that make them ill... that is brilliant and simple... just like most of nature.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also why it is probably a bad thing to dose a tank with any kind of chemical. It is bound to affect bacteria, viruses, parasites and algae. :eek:

I used to be like most people and use all sorts of things, but now I learned better. I don't try to kill flatworms, bacteria, funguses, parasites or anything else as I have found that, in my tank at least, there is a balance and as long as I don't screw it up by tweeking something, all is well. Whatever crops up will eventually leave on it's own. It always does.

OP
OP
Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also why it is probably a bad thing to dose a tank with any kind of chemical. It is bound to affect bacteria, viruses, parasites and algae. :eek:

I used to be like most people and use all sorts of things, but now I learned better. I don't try to kill flatworms, bacteria, funguses, parasites or anything else as I have found that, in my tank at least, there is a balance and as long as I don't screw it up by tweeking something, all is well. Whatever crops up will eventually leave on it's own. It always does.
I guess a bit like @Lasse was saying... If something nasty crops up my default is to Google the heck out of it to find something that will eat it... my struggle is currently with asterina... they don't damage anything but I have thousands! Far to far past the point of manual removal. I swear I can see them dividing as I watch the tank. Everyone suggests the usual harlequin shrimp but I have a fromia and a feather star that I'm fond of... I could sump the fromia but not the feather star :(

I am going to try a linckia, apparently they will eat asterina, but I can't find one in the UK which isn't already nearly dead :(

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have 100 stars just on my glass now and hundreds if not thousands on my rock. They just exploded a few weeks ago. They don't bother me but I threw in a Harlequin just to get rid of some of them so I could see through the glass. :rolleyes:

But he has one claw, one side he is bowleged and the other side is knock kneed. I think he is cross eyed, has a social disease. and is allergic to starfish :confused:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back