It's almost springtime! Are you planning any spring cleaning/maintenance on your tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about anyone else, but I love springtime. The cold days are behind us, plants begin to bloom, and for some of us it's time to do spring cleaning. I am wondering are you planning on doing some spring cleaning for your tank?

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not consistently quite warm enough here in the mitten state yet but I'm in the midst of planning to move the sump to a remote location. Our house is a tri-level and there happens to be a perfect little alcove for the sump! A little warmer weather will make the work I need to do in the crawl space more tolerable :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to detangle the wires behind the sump.

I just installed my first ATS last night!

IMG_8463.jpeg

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the exact opposite. I'm cleaning my scedual of tank stuff other than basic stuff so I can go work on me truck.

I've even had to stop buying corals. Which is really hard.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that light is cool! You have a plan of attack to detangle those wires?
I was thinking of removing all the equipment from the sump, unplugging everything from the apex, and then setting adding it back one by one.

Is that overkill?

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of removing all the equipment from the sump, unplugging everything from the apex, and then setting adding it back one by one.

Is that overkill?
Honestly, no, not to me. There are times when I will unplug everything I have to be able to redo the wiring to make it look better. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear to hook everything back up, but I think it's worth it

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, no, not to me. There are times when I will unplug everything I have to be able to redo the wiring to make it look better. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear to hook everything back up, but I think it's worth it
I agree. After installing the new scrubber, I started having anxiety because the scrubber wires were tangled within all the other wires. I had to move the scrubber in different positions and change some of the apex wires.

It’s a tight spot under the sump, but the mess is all I can think of. I like my things organized and tidy. Not wires that loop within other wires. It bugs me knowing it’s like that.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about anyone else, but I love springtime. The cold days are behind us, plants begin to bloom, and for some of us it's time to do spring cleaning. I am wondering are you planning on doing some spring cleaning for your tank?
I might finally pull all the GSP and throw it in the bonfire

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It had been nearly 2 years since I did any deep cleaning on my 240's sump, so I did that last month knowing with the nicer weather outside I would be busy out there.
I completely pull all of the plumbing out of the inside of the stand, pull the sump out, pumps etc.
Once everything is out I am able to check out the wood on the inside and behind the stand.
The stand is actually 24+ years old and has it's third tank on it.
Had a leaky bulkhead fitting that caused some salt creep down the back of the tank into the stand.
Got all that cleaned up. Had a heck of a time to get my return pump a RD3 100 watt put back together. Had to reset the o-ring a couple times ( a little silicone grease helped).

Brucemull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a good cleaning when it's needed isn't a bad thing. I do that

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back