It's been a long road.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a few things here:
  1. I'm glad we have a veteran joining our group. We could always use more.
  2. A 28 year old clown! -- awesome.
  3. I can't believe you haven't joined us earlier. We are so much fun to "hang" around with online.
  4. Welcome to R2R! You will love it here.
    Lemon Waving.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of questions, @av8
You set up your tank at the millennium with a deep sand bed and plenum, has it been set up with DSB for 19 years straight, did you move it or change it along the way?
Why do you want to fill your brine shrimp with fish oil? (I know what I use fish oil for; I told the doctor that I'm allergic to cod liver oil. They still have that one on my medical chart)
What took you so long to find us? Glad you are here. I don't think I'll live long enough to see my clownfish reach 28 years.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
I love your moniker. I can remember it :)

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for your likes & comments. I won't kid you, it has been a long 29 years. On my tombstone it will say: "He cleaned filters"

@KrisReef, I occasionally vacuum off (waste the water) part of the top layer of Fiji pink sand, that is nasty. Maybe a quarter to a half inch. That top layer covers nylon screen to keep 'em from digging to deep. I immediately replace it with "processed" sand. Process: rinse 10 times in 5 gal bucket until the water runs clean. Allow to dry, preferably in sun for several days. Put the now clean sand in a container until the next time I "vacuum" when it goes into the tank. I don't do it often enough. Maybe a couple of times a year. I try to do it in stages.

I also have a 10 gal reef with Jober DSB which I use as isolation tank & "emergency" if things ever went badly in the 55, which they have not. I set the 10 up in ... 1987? Both tanks always have zero nitrates, nitrites, or ammonia. Phosphates are certainly present, but to low for my tester.

Fish oil: I've been reading what I can find on gut loading. I'm using Spirulina for a couple of hours. I'm getting the impression that the Spirulina is not enough, and the brine on their own are reasonably worthless, kind of like eating potato chips ; )

I've posted a bit on Reef Central. I think I first posted there on Marylin's 20th birthday, which I thought was crazy then.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1891748&highlight=marylin
Now, almost ten years later. This fish may outlive ME.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is and can be a long road, but like any trip - ITS WORTH IT !!!!

welcom10.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back