It's good to be back!

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago after spending 3 or 4 years away from the hobby I was abruptly thrown back into it. I by default was given an "established" 80g rimless and all of the gear. Turns out I forgot EVERYTHING I used to know. It's insane how fast knowledge can leave you. Also I can't tell you how frustrating it is to take over someone else's build. Well as of now I'm finally getting things stable again and have lots of dumb and odd question for you guys to either answer or roast me about. I plan on doing a mixed reef with mostly reef beneficial fish. This is my 3rd reef tank and unfortunately I am on a much tighter budget. Either way I'm excited to be back in this money sucking hobby.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

AB1393DD-BEC1-470D-B818-B22DD12D01B1.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Reef keeping is like riding a bike...

RaccoonBike.gif

Besides this is a great place to ask questions, get reminders, and be part of a great community!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.............. Turns out I forgot EVERYTHING I used to know. It's insane how fast knowledge can leave you.............

It's okay...shoot, there are days when I can't remember what I had for lunch after 10 minutes. lol

Welcome to R2R and glad you joined. Many here to help refresh your memory on any topic of our addiction. :)

Riptide_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling! I just started back up after 10 years out! It’s crazy how much you
may forget at first, but it’ll come back! I think this time around I’m much more mature about it and trying to take things slowly, and better applying things that I remember worked for me, as well as lessons learned from my previous errors. Good luck and welcome back!!

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see pics! We’re here to help you get reacclimatized.
Man I'm camera shy because this take over hasn't been pretty, it looks like a bomb went off. Lots of maintenance to do and cleaning to be done. I've been focusing on getting everything stable and getting the equipment proper. That being said here's my set up (some I've pulled out of the attic):
80g deep blue rimless
50g sump refugium
2 gen 1 radions 30xr
Icecap gyre 1k
Random cheap powerheads
Bubble magus c5.5 skimmer
Vectra m2 return pump
Micmol planted led fuge light
Big chunk of dragon's breathe
Big chunk of chaeto
120 + live rock
Large toadstool
Large rasta zoa colony
TSA firework cloves
Half dead acan
Rose bubble tip and his clown friend
6 stage rodi
Two other corals I can't remember the names of but larger colony's
NOT INSTALLED:
Phosban reactor
5 lbs rox .08
5 lbs gfo
Auto pump
Hydor ATO (going in tomorrow)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I just put the algae in the sump and turned on the lights today and I think I've got everything a bacterial bloom or phyto bloom won't know until the morning. My next task is getting more flow inside of the tank and I'm considering either a icecap 3k or another 1k on the opposite side. Don't know what I should do there. I'm going to add another baffle to my sump once I figure out how I'm going to get it dry enough to work on. That'll be 3 chamber. After that I'm at a loss as to to what i should tackle next but my goal is obviously always stability. Any opinions or advice is welcome! Ok heres where I'm at week 2.5 (Coral and clown was already in tank when it was passed to me)

IMG_20190630_210723_01.jpeg
20190707_212606.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back