It's official! Check out the Vectra Q&A HERE...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who missed it, here's the interview between Tim Marks and Jake Adams, discussing the new EcoTech Vectra pump series.

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

Last edited:
OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can start our own Q&A here as well, but...

If you'd like to read the live Q&A transcripts, go check out EcoTech's Facebook page!

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I got into this hobby I have had vortech powerheads. According to the literature from Ecotech and what I have read online, NTM was designed to help stir up detritus and move it out of the tank. If you watch the Q&A video, around 24:20 mark the guy from Ecotech tells us that isn't true with a fixed speed return pump and the only way to get that detritus out is by increasing the speed of the pump so that it will suck down more tank water into the sump. Am I misinterpreting what he is saying?

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture1_zpsiyw0ea98.jpg
Wait.... there's additional ports for "Smart Switches" both optical and liquid level switches? "If/Then" statements with these switches...? Hmmmm....... ;-)

"Closed Loop Mode"....? How about a screenshot of the Vectra on EcoSmart Live!
Picture1_zpsiyw0ea98.jpg

Last edited:

A.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Q
My new setup is 75g with an external over flow box that has 3x1" holes as drains. Then i have 2 x 1/2" as return each will be split using loc lines piping. I do NOT want any kind of power heads in this tank so I need a powerfull return that will be the heart of my system and after watching this video this look very promising. Now , should I get the M or L size . The pump will feed a chiller and a reactor thro manifold.

Thx

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Q
My new setup is 75g with an external over flow box that has 3x1" holes as drains. Then i have 2 x 1/2" as return each will be split using loc lines piping. I do NOT want any kind of power heads in this tank so I need a powerfull return that will be the heart of my system and after watching this video this look very promising. Now , should I get the M or L size . The pump will feed a chiller and a reactor thro manifold.

Thx

I've been playing with the Vectra M1 for a while now on a 50g frag system. It's at about 4.5' of head and I run the pump at no more than 60% (which is cranking for my system). It is not manifolded in anyway and I've reduced the M1 output from 1-1/4" to 1" PVC.

With the blue quick connect nuts, the output is reduced from a male 1-1/4" to a 3/4" NPT fitting. I did not have the blue quick connect nuts initially, so I did all my reducing with NPT PVC fittings.

Personally, I don't know if I'd want to manifold the Vectra pumps. It seems you would lose many of the options that are highlighted by this new pump. For instance, the variable flow modes available with the Vectra would also translate to the reactor and chiller. So, if you wanted to do a Gyre mode in your tank throughout the day, your chiller and reactor would also be subject to that variation of flow patterns. Were I to use the Vectra pumps as an industry standard return pump (on/off/feedmode), then it would be logical for me to manifold the pump for these applications. Otherwise, I would run the Vectra separately and use a secondary pump for feeding chillers and reactors....

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

...Of course, my opinions and advice are specifically as an EcoTech product consumer. I do not officially represent the opinions of EcoTech Marine...

A.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That answers my question, thank you.

Now if i decided to keep the blue connectors. Should I buy a threaded barb or slip ?

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I got into this hobby I have had vortech powerheads. According to the literature from Ecotech and what I have read online, NTM was designed to help stir up detritus and move it out of the tank. If you watch the Q&A video, around 24:20 mark the guy from Ecotech tells us that isn't true with a fixed speed return pump and the only way to get that detritus out is by increasing the speed of the pump so that it will suck down more tank water into the sump. Am I misinterpreting what he is saying?

I've reviewed the parts of the video I believe you are talking about... the detritus conversation starts around 19:50 and continues from there. From my understanding, Tim and Jake are talking about a couple different concepts. Jake (Reef Builders) is talking about the Nutrient Export Mode, where detritus is "stirred" up by increasing/decreasing the flow at opportune times. Whereas Tim (EcoTech) hints to the possibility of a plumbing and pump "self-cleaning" mode. Essentially, this would run an amount of water up through your return plumbing and back through your pump to clear out any residual detritus within the lines. (As I understand it, NTM stirs up detritus in the tank to send it through the overflows. Vectra "self-cleaning" mode would clean out the return lines only. They could work hand-in-hand.)

Now the real question comes to mind here, with this possible feature, how do you trap/collect the detritus that comes out of the Vectra "self-cleaning" mode???

Randy

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That answers my question, thank you.

Now if i decided to keep the blue connectors. Should I buy a threaded barb or slip ?

As Tim mentions, it sort of depends whether you run this pump internally/externally. As a true "closed loop" I would guess external would be the way to go for plumbing. As such, (and as Tim also alludes to), users may want to ditch the blue connectors for some standard PVC NPT fittings.

If I were building a closed loop....which is the next step with my Vectra M1 prototype...I would use only PVC with true union ball valve connections. ;-)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for doing this, some great info. I'm typically one of the crotchety guys that's like "grumble, grumble I like it but it's overpriced compared to it's competition". This Google Hangout Session did a good job of highlighting exactly what I'm getting for an item that is priced surprisingly competitive with it's competition. I also really appreciate the fact that all the question posed weren't softballs lobed up to be knocked out of the park. Good job by you guys and good looking product by EcoTech.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 250 miles offshore on a 6 day fishing trip, finally I'm logged in on a Riggs WiFi, can't see the tube video but when will be the release date?
Hope this will go through....

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your return pump recognize when its inlet and outlet is obstructed?

Better yet, does it realize that its running dry and take measures to restart the flow or shut itself off?!?

Check out these features demonstrated on the new EcoTech Marine Vectra M1!

(Disclaimer: Please forgive the shaky iPhone video footage. I don't claim to be a professional, or even amateur, video blogger/reviewer. :p o_O)

Enjoy!

Randy
EcoTech Marine Product Test Team

Last edited:

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool features. Does ESL have the ability to launch an email letting me know my pump is shut off and identify whether inlet or outlet are obstructed?

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool features. Does ESL have the ability to launch an email letting me know my pump is shut off and identify whether inlet or outlet are obstructed?

As of today I haven't heard of that specific of email notifications, but I know they are hard at work on ESL interface.

However, I have been getting email notifications when ESL loses connection with the Vectra M1 pump. It's a pretty neat feature that I'm sure will be able to be expanded on.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
talked to a member of a major online supply store... heard these are being pushed back a month?!!

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the size of the inlet and outlet on the vectors L1?

The Vectra L1 has standard BST threading to fit U.S. NPT sizes 2" inlet and 1.5" outlet. The blue QuickCouplers will reduce those sizes, if you use them. (I'll have to go back through the video and see if he mentioned the reduced sizes. It's not in my memory banks at this time.)

P3FE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one of this pump will be ideal for a 375g tank with 11 feet of back pressure?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back