Its shark week/ Shark Fest

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As many know, this is annual Shark week and ive seen many fascinated with sharks and eels in their tank. Ive always had an interest in sharks and fascinated by their appearance and behaviors. I know we have several shark owners on R2R.

How many have watched or have been watching shark week?
What have you liked the most and the least thus far?
Is there a particular episode that has stood out for you?

I liked the bull Shark vs. Great white and Sharkano- Hawaii. There are a lot of repeats and some too focused on tracking sharks.

1688733488978.png
1688733519397.png
1688733531791.png

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Honestly I find it too cringey to watch. Nature-based television has shifted so far away from education over the last 10-15 years. They’re way more concerned with ratings, which just means drama and “shock p 0rn” :frowning-face:
I cant argue with that. With some episodes, who wants to go in the water?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding about shark week! I saw what looked like to be a shark off the gulf coast of Alabama this week! Everyone was just starting at the fin as it was racing through the water.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I find it too cringey to watch. Nature-based television has shifted so far away from education over the last 10-15 years. They’re way more concerned with ratings, which just means drama and “shock p 0rn” :frowning-face:
Same here. I gave up on shark weak about 10 years ago, back when it first started in the 80s they had the old school 60's era research and some classic Rodney Fox footage.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love watching Shark week but I'm a cord cutter and refuse to pay the high price for cable where I live.

I have shark month every year when we go to Australia.
I was in Harvey Bay out on the giant pier talking to fishermen and watched a massive Tiger shark swim just beyond where the people were swimming. It was nerve racking to say the least. I asked the fisherman, are the ppl not afraid of sharks being so close? He replied by saying NAH, there's so much food in the water they don't bother the ppl where their at.

Also had a bad experience with a bull shark when I was walking way out from shore. Something was nudging me in chest deep water and after noticing a fresh water river not far from me it clicked! Yup time to vamoose real quick! Now when I go down under we just hit the Perth Aquarium

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shark week was huge in my house when my boys were young. I really built it up and my sons waited with anticipation. Every night we watched. The episode that has always stood out to me was when 4 men were standing waist deep with bull sharks swimming around them. They had a camera above and below the water. As one of the men were arguing that bull sharks aggression was overblown as bull shark bit and removed his calf.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To echoes others I grew up on educational Animal Planet and Discovery and remember mythbusters shark week most fondly. That megalodon lie/scam/BS was the final nail in th coffin for me.
Yep, I remember always looking forward to the mythbusters crew partaking in shark week.

Back