It's soft and squishy, what is it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Xmoji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2014
Messages
949
Reaction score
730
Location
Chicago, IL
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have some strange growth in my tank and I'm hoping some one can help ID it for me. As it says in the title, this growth is soft and squishy to the touch. It has a bluish tint to it and grows mostly in a mass however there are also long stringy arms that reach out and grab on to what ever is near by. In the photos below you can see it is growing on my coral. As you can see it grows mostly in the solid mass but you can also see the long strings of whatever it is. I had to chop up my Duncan to pull it out. Bad part is it is growing in other areas of the tank. If you know what it is and how to combat it please let me know! Thank you.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 
It's a sponge or tunicate. Just pull it off. It should come fairly easily. I can't see it on my phone very well.
 
It does come off easily and I have been pulling it off. Does anything eat sponges?
 
Cool thanks for the info those two are some tank mates I would like to add when later down the road.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new