iTzJu's Rimless 80 Gallon Peninsula (re)Build

iTzJu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: I've been in and out hobby for the past couple years due to tank crashes, available time, and life in general. Fast track to a more present time, I setup a Deep Blue 80 Gallon winter 2016 upgrading from a 57 Gallon but ultimately had to break down last April due to a hectic work schedule. Sold off most of the corals and livestock and just kept the equipment. Now, renovations are being done in the basement so this gave me a perfect scenario to try and setup the 80 Gallon again.

Main Tank Equipment List:
  • Deep Blue 80 Gallon Rimless RR 48x24x16
  • 30 Gallon DIY Refugium
  • Trigger Systems Crytal 30 Sump
  • 46" AquaticLife XS-US Series LED
  • 4 x T5 36" Retrofit
  • 2 x sBar 36" Actinic LED Bars
  • 2 x Ecotech Vortech MP40
  • Jebao DCP5000 Return Pump
  • 2 x 300w Cobalt Neo-therm Heaters
  • Reef Octopus Regal 150 or Reef Octopus 110sss (Depending on Fish Load)
  • AquaMaxx Star S-1 Calcium Reactor
  • Aquarium-plants Regulator with 20lb CO2 Tank
  • Cole Parmer MASTERFLEX 7520-40 Continuous Peristaltic Pump
  • Apex Classic System
Future Frag Tank Equipment List:
  • Deep Blue 34 Gallon Rimless 36x18x12
  • 2 x Kessil 360we
  • 2 x Jebao CP25
  • Apex Junior System
The above list is all the equipment on hand. Once I have everything setup, might change out a few things but the above list is pretty much what will sum up the equipment planned. The frag tank, I am undecided if i will be plumbing that with the main system or will be running independently. I am leaning towards independently so I will have a sort of "quarantine" tank for new coral arrivals.

Planned Livestock List:

Fish/Inverts:
  • Blue Hippo Tang
  • Yellow Tang
  • Sailfin Tang
  • Pair of Clowns (Designer Variant)
  • 2 x Fire fish
  • 2 x Banghaii Cardinals
  • Algae Blenny
  • 2 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Various Snails for CUC
Corals:
  • Mixed Reef, SPS Dominant
I will be really sticking to the fish list, going to try not to make any spontaneous additions to the list. Also, for the tang police out there, those tangs will be small and will eventually move them out to bigger homes once they out grow the tank.

As far as the corals go, this tank will be a bare bottom SPS dominated reef tank. I will be mostly looking for basic sticks that I have always enjoyed and may splurge on some of the hyped up ones currently.

I will try to keep this thread updated but don't expect anything soon. I just wanted to get this thread started for now and once the renovations in the basement are done. I can focus on the (re)Build.

Below is a pic of the 80 before I tore it down:
yr1f25V.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I love the dimensions of the tank.

If I could offer a suggestion though, I would ask you to reconsider a sailfin and hippo. I have a sailfin in my 180 and he is a monster. I couldn't imagine him being in a tank half as tall as my tank when bigger.

Juano908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: I've been in and out hobby for the past couple years due to tank crashes, available time, and life in general. Fast track to a more present time, I setup a Deep Blue 80 Gallon winter 2016 upgrading from a 57 Gallon but ultimately had to break down last April due to a hectic work schedule. Sold off most of the corals and livestock and just kept the equipment. Now, renovations are being done in the basement so this gave me a perfect scenario to try and setup the 80 Gallon again.

Main Tank Equipment List:
  • Deep Blue 80 Gallon Rimless RR 48x24x16
  • 30 Gallon DIY Refugium
  • Trigger Systems Crytal 30 Sump
  • 46" AquaticLife XS-US Series LED
  • 4 x T5 36" Retrofit
  • 2 x sBar 36" Actinic LED Bars
  • 2 x Ecotech Vortech MP40
  • Jebao DCP5000 Return Pump
  • 2 x 300w Cobalt Neo-therm Heaters
  • Reef Octopus Regal 150 or Reef Octopus 110sss (Depending on Fish Load)
  • AquaMaxx Star S-1 Calcium Reactor
  • Aquarium-plants Regulator with 20lb CO2 Tank
  • Cole Parmer MASTERFLEX 7520-40 Continuous Peristaltic Pump
  • Apex Classic System
Future Frag Tank Equipment List:
  • Deep Blue 34 Gallon Rimless 36x18x12
  • 2 x Kessil 360we
  • 2 x Jebao CP25
  • Apex Junior System
The above list is all the equipment on hand. Once I have everything setup, might change out a few things but the above list is pretty much what will sum up the equipment planned. The frag tank, I am undecided if i will be plumbing that with the main system or will be running independently. I am leaning towards independently so I will have a sort of "quarantine" tank for new coral arrivals.

Planned Livestock List:

Fish/Inverts:
  • Blue Hippo Tang
  • Yellow Tang
  • Sailfin Tang
  • Pair of Clowns (Designer Variant)
  • 2 x Fire fish
  • 2 x Banghaii Cardinals
  • Algae Blenny
  • 2 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Various Snails for CUC
Corals:
  • Mixed Reef, SPS Dominant
I will be really sticking to the fish list, going to try not to make any spontaneous additions to the list. Also, for the tang police out there, those tangs will be small and will eventually move them out to bigger homes once they out grow the tank.

As far as the corals go, this tank will be a bare bottom SPS dominated reef tank. I will be mostly looking for basic sticks that I have always enjoyed and may splurge on some of the hyped up ones currently.

I will try to keep this thread updated but don't expect anything soon. I just wanted to get this thread started for now and once the renovations in the basement are done. I can focus on the (re)Build.

Below is a pic of the 80 before I tore it down:
yr1f25V.jpg

Welcome back Jud.

OP
OP
iTzJu

iTzJu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I love the dimensions of the tank.

If I could offer a suggestion though, I would ask you to reconsider a sailfin and hippo. I have a sailfin in my 180 and he is a monster. I couldn't imagine him being in a tank half as tall as my tank when bigger.

yeah, i'm well aware of how big they can get but i'm guessing if i get them small that i'd get a year or 2 of them before they get too big. i'll then find them new homes at that time.

OP
OP
iTzJu

iTzJu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to a fellow reefer's suggestion, I was able to grab 2 40 Gallon water containers from ruralking.com with free shipping. Can't wait to get those in, hate the look of brute cans!

OP
OP
iTzJu

iTzJu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time for an update..

So the main tank will be taking a little longer than I expected but since I really want to take my time on the build to make it perfect. I'm wrestling with a few new ideas that I'd like to do but still not sure yet if it would be worth it in the long run but i'll ask some of you guys opinion when we get there. In the mean time, I've thrown all my focus on setting up the 34 Gallon Frag Tank. This will give me the opportunity to collect and grow out some corals and fish to scratch my itch until the main tank is ready. I detailed some of the equipment up top but below is the final equipment list.

Frag Tank:
  • Deep Blue 34 Gallon Rimless RR Tank
  • Trigger Systems Crystal 30 Sump
  • 2x Kessil A360We
  • Apex Jr w/ EB8, PM1, & VDM Module
  • Cobalt 300w Heater
  • Ice Cap ATO
  • RO 110SSS or Eshopps S120 Skimmer
  • 2x Ecotech Vortech MP10Wes
  • Jebao DCT6000 Return Pump
  • Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor
  • UFO Refugium Light
Plan on plumbing everything this week and should be wet by early next week. have some cycled live rock already that I will be putting in the refugium section of the sump and will also be adding some MarinePure bioballs as well to help with surface area. I'll be growing cheato as well to help with nutrient export.

I have the following coming in for livestock thanks to some LFS.

From Philadelphia Aquatics:
  • Acropora humilis – PA Candy Cane Humilis
  • Acropora Coral - Vivid’s Rainbow Delight
  • Acropora plana
  • Acropora Spathulata - Red tips 134
  • Acropora Coral – Raspberry Limeade
  • Magenta Magic Mille
16500-65548d83f34f76118e33dad4dd98a7f0.jpg

They were kind and awesome enough to hold the frags till i'm set up, loving their customer service and shop. highly recommend these guys. Looking forward to these frags especially the PA Magenta Magic.

From Ultimate Corals:
  • UC Yellow Dragons
  • FF Red Robin
looking forward to picking these up and catch up with Mark @ UC and see what else he has in his shop.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back