Ive decided to drill my tank. Overflow?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything wrong with this one?

I use it on my display fuge. Despite the advertising, it is NOT quiet. It also only has one drain. At a minimum, you'll want to set up a herbie.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This guy understood the assignment. Explain it to me like im 5

Why do I nee multiple pipes going to the sump? Don't I just need one from the overflow and one to the return pump?

I had thought about a hang on back siphon overflow but I figured I'm going to empty the tank and remove my sand to redo my rockscape. I might as well take it in the garage and drill it at that time. Drilling it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, other than getting it empty. Drilling seems more foolproof.
You will want an emergency drain as well

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• Types_of_Overflow_Drains-02.jpg
    Types_of_Overflow_Drains-02.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 48

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I nee multiple pipes going to the sump? Don't I just need one from the overflow and one to the return pump?

You can have just one, which a lot of folks, myself included, do.

This does have a slight risk of a problem if it gets blocked… but this can be reduced by stufff like using soft plumbing (clear pvc) or avoiding right angle corners.

Adding additional drains provides redundancy, and also opens up options for drain systems that can be quieter under high flows, while having secondary drains that can periodically “correct” if the return pump is returning faster than the main drain can drain.

Tip if you have a sump - make sure the water level in the sump in use can accommodate the full siphon from the tank when you turn the pump off, and make sure the pump is in a return chamber separated from the rest of the sump by a weir. This makes it mostly failsafe against a flood if something goes wrong - a failure in the system then will only cost you a new pump, not new floors.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has hang on the back equipment. I've decided I'm going to get a sump, empty the tank out and drill it. I've been researching how to confirm it's not tampered, how to drill, etc. I'm going to drill the back side of the tank. What I don't really understand is what I need for an overflow. It's a box that sits inside or outside the tank. So, does it basically just cover the bulkheads? Like, I'd plumb the bulkheads to my sump and then cover those holes with the overflow?

Can someone explain this to me like im 5? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just need a diagram or whatever

Overflows for drilled tanks are generally 2 pieces.

After drilling for the overflow, the inner and outer portions of the overflow are held in place by placing the bulkheads.

1. So it would be interior overflow box lined up with the holes you drilled.
2. Place the bulkhead through the internal portion of the overflow.
3. Place the external portion over the bulkhead protruding out the back.
4. Apply the bulkhead nut.

Done.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a beanimal set up it has 3 drains. The first one is a full siphon so no gurgling. The second one is where you set your water level in the outside box at and the third is in case of complete blockage of the first two. My second one has barely a trickle going through it untill my filter sock needs to be changed.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you can drill your tank and it's not tempered?
I've been checking it with an lcd screen and polarized glasses. I'll try it with a few different pairs of glasses and lcd screens before I try drilling. I'm definitely well aware of what will happen if it's tempered

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the lcd screen is older and doesn't have a built in polarized filter. Try to find an old flip phone.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the lcd screen is older and doesn't have a built in polarized filter. Try to find an old flip phone.
That's good to know. I felt like it wasn't 100% working with my phone screen. I wanted to experiment with some known tempered glass and confirm what tempered glass looks like.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys help me with the sump design? It's going to be 10"x12". Pretty small, which is why I didn't think I didnt ever id do one, but I can make it fit. I'm thinking it will be 4 chambers that are roughly 5"×6." I was originally thinking of converting my tank to an AIO, but this will have more sump space than that and it'll save a ton of room in the display.

I was thinking 1 chamber for: Filter sock, refugium, skimmer, and return pump.

I'll attach a picture of the cabinet it's going in to.

Attachments

• 20230221_223137.jpg
    20230221_223137.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool I'm gonna try to move this as a package deal, Check out chewy for figi cube overflow i think they have the best prices.
Any idea what size hole is needed for the bulkhead?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230405_072808_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230405_072808_Chrome.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 31

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back