I've killed the Aiptasia Horde that overtook my reef! Here is how:

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65 Gallon no sump reef had been neglected for several months -to a very ugly stage with a mass of Aiptasia and Algae. I lost nearly all my corals -save for a large GSP colony, but even the GSP were beaten back into near complete submission (the GSP are now coming back in mass). Aiptasia were by the hundreds. They melted everything. Algae had consumed my rock and glass.

However because I did do periodic water changes my fish survived :).

So. Three weeks ago I began a mission to reclaim my reef and bring it back and I am happy to say "Mission Accomplished", Here is what I did:

1) Big 50% Water change and 2 Part dosing to raise ALK and CA to 9.0dKH & 450ppm

2) Cleaned my Filtration and Reef Octo Skimmer. Set the Skimmer on full blast mode running wet into a 5 gallon drain bucket. Ran it wet over the first week draining nutrients while same time...

3) Two New 2150GPH Powerheads were aimed at the rock from front and back creating a whirl pool to blast out all the detritus. I alternated position of the powerheads into the rock.

4) Stopped flow completely and nuked the Aiptasia with Red Sea Aiptasia-X. At this point my ALK, CA and MG were at 9.0, 450 & 1450 respectfully. -Good strong levels.

5) A week later: Aiptasia came back, but at only 50% population.

6) Nuked the survivors with another round of Aiptasia-X. But left a few Aiptasia alive for the Peppermint Shrimp -lysmata wurdemanni -the specific type that eat Aiptasia...

7) A week ago I added a File Fish and 6 Peppermint Shrimp. It took the Peppermint shrimp a few days to settle in. Then one night I came over to the tank in the middle of the night with a flash light and the Peppermint Shrimp were scouring my rock. Over the next few days there were only a few Aiptasia left. None that I nuked with Aiptasia-X had come back.

There were several Aiptasia on the undersides of rock which I could not reach, I left them for the Shrimp and a few days later those under Rock Aiptasia are gone.

8) Tonight before lights out, I nuked the last few Aiptasia I could find with Aiptasia-X. Its middle of the night now and I can see the Peppermint Shrimp scouring the rock for whatever is left.

Im well on the way to bringing my reef back and to start adding coral.

In summary:

A) Bring your Water Params back up. Thru Water changes and Dosing.

B) Get your filtration running full power, including Skimmer to reduce nutrients.

C) Nuke the Aiptasia. Keep Nuking the Aiptasia every few days. Be sure to TURN OFF YOUR FLOW WHILE AND AFTER USING AIPTASIA-X. Leave the flow OFF for about 24 hours after so as you dont blow the Calcium deposits off the Aiptasia.

D) Add Peppermint Shrimp -the right species lysmata wurdemanni

Repeat.

I was hopeless, but now I have beaten them.

Hope this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back