I've worked at an LFS, ask me anything about them

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha that is pretty funny to ask. This varies dramatically. One place I know of never changes any of their filters and were selling people tap water (this place was horrible). Many stores don't change the DI resin frequently. The place I worked would remove the DI resin if it got used up so it didn't dump things back in, but also did an ICP test to know what was being removed by the DI resin if they had to take it out (basically manganese, a little zinc, silica, and that's about it as far as I remember). They would only not replace it if there was no DI in stock.

People waste so much money and time buying store water. It's not bad if you have a small tank, but RODI units are much more cost effective in the long run. I have seen people come in buying 75 gallons of water and hauling massive amount of buckets at a time.
Just bought my own RODI unit for this exact reason, lol.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard if they won’t sell you fish without a water sample that’s a good thing?

juuuuust joking around.

my local LFS said he won’t be carrying many wrasse anymore because atleast 30% show up DOA and another 20% don’t live past 48 hours so he loses too much money on them
I read that. Lol. Im gonna start carrying water shopping. Love my fish store!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time I like the fact that I've overheard the owner of my favorite LFS tell people "no, that fish would not work in your tank" and why (nicely of course). He has regulars and he remembers what fish they have. :)

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time I like the fact that I've overheard the owner of my favorite LFS tell people "no, that fish would not work in your tank" and why (nicely of course). He has regulars and he remembers what fish they have. :)

I think an lfs works best when people go not for the store but for the employee or owner. A business friendship is a good thing for these stores

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to buy every new automation, timesaving and safety gadget that comes along. I'm also constantly upgrading lights and pumps, etc. Buying online from BRS or Amazon. I don't expect my LFS to have the ultra-advanced reefer products. I still go often to my LFS to see if I can cherry-pick one or two cool corals. The people are nice, I treat them well and they do the same. No one has mentioned all the social media sellers - Craigslist, Facebook, etc. I get most of my corals by visting other reefer's living rooms and buying from them. It's a nice thing to do.

If they don't have it, often you can persuade them to beat the price and order it for you :)

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to buy every new automation, timesaving and safety gadget that comes along. I'm also constantly upgrading lights and pumps, etc. Buying online from BRS or Amazon. I don't expect my LFS to have the ultra-advanced reefer products. I still go often to my LFS to see if I can cherry-pick one or two cool corals. The people are nice, I treat them well and they do the same. No one has mentioned all the social media sellers - Craigslist, Facebook, etc. I get most of my corals by visting other reefer's living rooms and buying from them. It's a nice thing to do.
those social media sellers are driving me nuts. Every single one is trying to do a raffle or should i say waffle since facebook will ban them. Corals are expensive, but I definitely dont need to be gambling just to buy a coral... the gamification of everything is driving me crazy

markwayts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your point, but many Local Fish Stores need to change their business practices if they want to stay in business, and show why you should spend your money there vs elsewhere. At any given time, you should be able to walk in and get everything you need to set up an entire system that day. They shouldn't have dead fish or Aptasia in their systems. If you bring fish that have outgrown your tank, or other livestock, they should give some store credit, not just take your “surrendered livestock”

Also, keeping such a sensitive ecosystem, you should have everything you would need in an emergency. Backup pumps, heaters, salt, medications, etc. plus, they are often the items they don’t have.
Sounds great but to do that they'd quadruple their prices and you wouldn't buy anyway. Lfs's operate on a shoestring budget. Most starved to death when the big box pet stores took over.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were the biggest moneymakers as far as profit margins? Livestock? Dry goods? Fish food? RODI/saltwater?

Also, from what you've seen, how bad of a problem do you think fish disease is with respect to the supply chain?
I can answer this. The biggest profit margin I've seen is freshwater plants. Dirt cheap to buy/propogate, low maintenance and high sell volume.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do LFS run copper ?
I worked at two shops owned by the same company, very different managers. One ran copper, the other didn't. The system that didn't run copper had higher survival rates and healthier fish, copper wasn't the only factor though.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first question for a customer was always "what is in your tank now?"

Had one guy forget to mention hermit crabs in his clean up crew and got mad at us when the dragon wrasse had a buffet.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time - this is a great threat, thank you for sharing your LFS experience!

Wondering if you plan on continuing working at LFS or are there other future work plans?

And now the question everyone wants to know - do you share your family & friends LFS discounts to Reefers here on R2R?

Thank you!
I paid more in childcare than I made. I did it just so I could play with fish and coral all day, about 3000g of saltwater systems.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting a longnose butterfly and I saw a beautiful specimen come in. I asked to see the fish eat, it didn't. The guy told me the fish just came in and comeback the next day. I came back a week later and saw the fish still there. However another customer was wanting the fish as well. I asked the salesman to feed the fish. It still didn't eat. The sales attendant was nervous as he was thinking i might spoof the other customer. I didn't and they convinced the other customer to buy the long nose butterfly. You can tell the fish was weak from not eating. I just shook my head and walked on. I understand the business needs to make money, but they basically sold a dead fish.

Will you sell a fish knowing its not eating and will die? I seen this at multiple stores where the fish didn't eat and sold anyways.
This was the worst part of working at a fish store. If I discouraged a customer from buying a fish, they would have fired me.

We keep our livestock healthy. The stores kept it alive long enough to sell it to someone who cares.

They frequently bought stuff that has a near 0 survival rate.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the worst part of working at a fish store. If I discouraged a customer from buying a fish, they would have fired me.

We keep our livestock healthy. The stores kept it alive long enough to sell it to someone who cares.

I honestly don't blame the store for pushing a dead fish. They are in it to make money and as a business owner, its hard to see $90 thrown away. I seen stores that sell fish guaranteed to be disease free and eating. However the price is 20-30% higher than other LFS to make up for fish that they loose.

If I was a LFS owner, I would find a more reputable source for fish. Also, I would stay away from sensitive fish like butterflies. Have those fish available as a special order only.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been to quite a few lfs around me and they’re always hammered with customers on Saturday and sundays wanting water. My question to you is the RODI water really RODI water? Lol I feel like they use tap and some seachem prime or something lol
Mine was selling me tap water passed off as rodi water for over a $1 a gallon. Was having major issues with my tank and couldn't figure out what was wrong. So I bought a TDS meter and checked their rodi water and it was over 400 TDS. Bought my own rodi system and have been great ever since.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is one of the reasons that a buddy of mine exited the LFS trade, even with discouraging customers...they could go to petco down the street. He was the type of employee that would have made changes like QT arrivals and better education for customers, but it wasn't in the cards for him.

One of the young adults he worked with would put orders in for weird stuff like remoras....no one in Vermont wants or needs a remora...but they were cool looking:rolleyes:.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the reasons that a buddy of mine exited the LFS trade, even with discouraging customers...they could go to petco down the street. He was the type of employee that would have made changes like QT arrivals and better education for customers, but it wasn't in the cards for him.

Yup thats the truth. There are exceptions, but realistically most people are not going to pay a premium for truly QTed livestock, etc. There are some niche sellers that can do well with that approach, but not reasonable for your local LFS when most of your customers will get just get the "better deal" for less money down the street at a chain store or a different LFS.

Its also why I am not a fan of fish stores unwilling to sell without seeing a water sample and things like that. It drives the customers who likely need the help the most to the stores that are least able to actually help them.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup thats the truth. There are exceptions, but realistically most people are not going to pay a premium for truly QTed livestock, etc. There are some niche sellers that can do well with that approach, but not reasonable for your local LFS when most of your customers will get just get the "better deal" for less money down the street at a chain store or a different LFS.

Its also why I am not a fan of fish stores unwilling to sell without seeing a water sample and things like that. It drives the customers who likely need the help the most to the stores that are least able to actually help them.
i disagree. I run into many beginners in my aquascape business. I tell the horrors of velvet, ich, flukes, diet... I tell them its not a matter of "if", but "when". As far as I know, they agree with me that until they can setup a quarantine tank and have more experience, its best to buy preconditioned fish. Yes you pay 20-30% more than your lfs, but at least you know the fish has been eating, its ich and velvet free, fluke free and has been regaining its weight from the stress of being caught and shipped across the world. I have been sending a few customers toward that lfs lately.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i disagree. I run into many beginners in my aquascape business. I tell the horrors of velvet, ich, flukes, diet... I tell them its not a matter of "if", but "when". As far as I know, they agree with me that until they can setup a quarantine tank and have more experience, its best to buy preconditioned fish. Yes you pay 20-30% more than your lfs, but at least you know the fish has been eating, its ich and velvet free, fluke free and has been regaining its weight from the stress of being caught and shipped across the world. I have been sending a few customers toward that lfs lately.

You disagree with what? It sounds like you are trying to convince me of the value of QT which i am not sure is relevant. I dont think there is any question the vast majority of fish sold are not thoroughly QTed. I can also clearly say many customers shop on price. There is a good reason very few fish stores sell QTed fish....if the majority of customers would pay for it then the stores would invest in that.

I would also argue that for an average brick/morter LFS the cost difference is not just 20-30%. The amount of space needed grows considerably and inventory management becomes a significant issue. Unless you only plan to order fish every several weeks you need many independent systems and any customer requests for specific fish is going to have several weeks of leadtime. Of course some customers will wait and pay the premium....and a whole lot of others are going to head down to their petco.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You disagree with what? It sounds like you are trying to convince me of the value of QT which i am not sure is relevant. I dont think there is any question the vast majority of fish sold are not thoroughly QTed. I can also clearly say many customers shop on price. There is a good reason very few fish stores sell QTed fish....if the majority of customers would pay for it then the stores would invest in that.

I would also argue that for an average brick/morter LFS the cost difference is not just 20-30%. The amount of space needed grows considerably and inventory management becomes a significant issue. Unless you only plan to order fish every several weeks you need many independent systems and any customer requests for specific fish is going to have several weeks of leadtime. Of course some customers will wait and pay the premium....and a whole lot of others are going to head down to their petco.
i disagree that customers will run to a cheaper lfs and get unconditioned fish. The store I am refering too is actually very small. Most lfs depend on dry good to make a profit. This store has no dry goods and only have aquariums. The store is no more than 1500 sq ft. They have two systems, one is medicated and one isn't. As a matter a fact, they don't even sell coral or inverts. Just fish. The non fish item they sell is RO water and frozen/live food. Of course this store corners the market is this very small niche, but they are doing reasonably well and have great reputation locally.

I prepaid a red sea regal from them. They are currently conditioning the fish making sure its fed and diseases free. As far as I know, i was told they are willing to hold the fish for me until I am comfortable taking the fish home. They held my friends achilles for 3 months before he decided to pick it up.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were it just about price then Petco would run all LFS out of business. Those having losses will either leave the hobby or wise up and seek better alternatives. Granted not all fish bought at Petco will die and those knowing how to QT and medicate fish may seek those lower prices but not all have the allocated space at home for proper QT nor the patience.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back