I've worked at an LFS, ask me anything about them

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread.
What is your percentage of DOA or fish who die shortly after you get them.
What are the more popular fish or the best money maker ones?
How long in average does a fish stay in your shop before it is sold?
Do you see a big difference between whole sale traders? Are some more likely to sell you poor quality fish?
How often do you get new fish? Daily, weekly, monthly?
Do you resupply a specific fish only when you are out of it?
Do you just get whatever the whole sale trader is sending you because you have to buy a certain number of items per month?
Are the inverts, such as snails and shrimps kept in a different system than the fish?
I wish that some store would sale macro algae, the way they sell fresh water plants. I always prefer to see what I buy and distrust pictures and online stores. I wonder why it is impossible to find any store selling macro algae.
I can't speak for all stores, but let's break some of that down

If I tranship fish doa or within a day or two is 10% or so on a good order. From a domestic wholesaler under 5%.

What fish are popular is going to change depending on the store. I sell a lot of Wrasses and Tangs. Other stores in my area that are bigger In sure sell a ton more clownfish to newer hobbyists.

Money makers are generally a wash as prices are generally percentage based off of cost.

I could not give you an average of how long a fish might stay in the store, some fish a day, some fish a month.

I mostly only get the fish that I order.

I do not keep inverts with my fish. My fish system is designed so that I can treat it for any disease or parasite. I would not be able to actual do that it inverts in the same system.

I do sell a couple different macro algae, mostly harvested from my home system.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do sell a couple different macro algae, mostly harvested from my home system.
Thanks for your answer. The percentage of dead fish is less than what I thought. I am glad to know that.
I would have thought that it would be relatively easy for some store to grow macro algae and then sell some, but not one does that in my area and I had to buy them on line. I was not too impress with what I got and wish I could have seen in person what I was buying. I would also like to be able to ask questions because I have not been very successful at growing it so far.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back