Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looks awesome rich as always. If you need a hand on the move or setting new tank, just give me a shout.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome rich as always. If you need a hand on the move or setting new tank, just give me a shout.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. I'm not even going to attempt to transfer livestock. I'll put large frags of my stuff in buddy's tanks and keep my rock alive to help the cycle of the new tank. I'll be reef-less for a while I guess. I'd hate to get rid of fish that have been with me for many years though :/... Maybe a holding tank for them :). I'm not really sure. I'll figure it all out.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tanks of all times . I still remember your old 34 gallon sps that got me into an all acro cube tanks .
Great to see that you switched back to halides from radions . How was the tradition to led and back from led ?

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tanks of all times . I still remember your old 34 gallon sps that got me into an all acro cube tanks .
Great to see that you switched back to halides from radions . How was the tradition to led and back from led ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Thanks Abhiskek :) That old solana was starved lol!!! I had the zeo pastel colors but I was running 0 or trace nitrate and 0 po4. More guys seem to like that look, which you see more in European tanks, rather than deeper colors that come with more nutrient. I prefer the deeper colors.
The transition to and from Radion was simple. The corals responded well to the radions right away so there was no issue. When I did go back to the halide I had some colors fade a little because the 400w radium is putting out more par. Overall I prefer the look of a 400w radium, but I would never want to deal with the heat of multiple halides over a large tank. Right now if I had to choose lighting for a larger tank it would be a mix of radion g4 + t5 retro fitted.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. I'm not even going to attempt to transfer livestock. I'll put large frags of my stuff in buddy's tanks and keep my rock alive to help the cycle of the new tank. I'll be reef-less for a while I guess. I'd hate to get rid of fish that have been with me for many years though :/... Maybe a holding tank for them :). I'm not really sure. I'll figure it all out.
I know what you mean with fish cause I have the same attachment. When you are settled with the move and family you will figure the tank out. As I said I'm in the business so if you need something let me know. I'm thinking of doing the same thing moving possibly next year and I'm already getting a headache thinking about it and what to do.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean with fish cause I have the same attachment. When you are settled with the move and family you will figure the tank out. As I said I'm in the business so if you need something let me know. I'm thinking of doing the same thing moving possibly next year and I'm already getting a headache thinking about it and what to do.
Thanks Joe, same here buddy. I'm not in the business but I know coral :) if you need tank related help with your move I'm here. I have a pickup + an inverter so I can transport livestock for you if needed. I plan on getting mostly new premium live rock from Jason in Maspeth. He get amazing real live rock, not this fake dry crap which has become the norm. I remember in the 90's just getting excited to see what critters would crawl out to my rock lol :)

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Joe, same here buddy. I'm not in the business but I know coral :) if you need tank related help with your move I'm here. I have a pickup + an inverter so I can transport livestock for you if needed. I plan on getting mostly new premium live rock from Jason in Maspeth. He get amazing real live rock, not this fake dry crap which has become the norm. I remember in the 90's just getting excited to see what critters would crawl out to my rock lol :)
Thanks rich. Appreciated very much. Yes today it's hard to find nice live rock, every live rock I have seen is either fake or looks like brick.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made my last few tank stands tall. This one is 37". I think it's a good height. I hate the 28"-30" stands, it like a look down tank :)
Your tank looks fantastic! Love the taller stands too. Getting close to getting my new 93 cube wet and it is going on this stand I built at 38" tall.

90 Tank 9.jpeg
90 Tank 12.jpg

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I like many others were inspired by your Solana with all those acros, Sick! It got me back into the hobby in 2012 and haven’t looked back
I thank you but my wife probably hates you, lol

Good luck on your next venture and build. Keep us posted

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I like many others were inspired by your Solana with all those acros, Sick! It got me back into the hobby in 2012 and haven’t looked back
I thank you but my wife probably hates you, lol

Good luck on your next venture and build. Keep us posted

Glad I could be of help Orly. It's weird, that solana was a very popular tank (according to youtube views). I had 4 small fish and barely fed it. I manually dosed 2 part each day so parms were always steady. I was left with a nano tank full of pastel acros. Cool looking, but much a much easier task for what I go for these days. Getting deeper colors with healthy growth is more challenging. Nutrient balance is a PITA!

Since you bumped up the thread I'm going to photobomb lol. I have been running a little lower nutrient while feeding heavy and the corals have been responding well.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid rainbow. This one is getting big (about 8" and growing fast). Blasting it under 600 par.
IMG_5098 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Kiddies Yellow Acro. This is similar to the Upscales Microlados but this lineage was around since the early 2000's. It looks greenish under the 20k radium. Under lower K it's bright yellow.
IMG_5110 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Pieces of the Ocean "Independence Day". Looks like a Fireworks Type acro. Starting to color up.
IMG_5106 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Wild Aussie piece but the most toxic neon green coral that I have ever seen.
IMG_5115 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the colors and the "over stocked" of wrasse, how do you balance so many fish with great colors, I have 15 fish in a 120 (mostly wrasse) and I am struggling with cyano and poor sps color.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the colors and the "over stocked" of wrasse, how do you balance so many fish with great colors, I have 15 fish in a 120 (mostly wrasse) and I am struggling with cyano and poor sps color.

Thanks. A combination of Skimming, various carbon dosing/ bacteria dosing, water change, and filter sock change keeps the balance. I always tend to be a little higher in nutrient than most SPS reefs, so I offset that with more lighting. The top portion of my tank sees up to 700 Par, and a little as 250 on the sandbed. What type of colors are you getting? Light/faded, brown etc?

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! The drawer is an awesome idea, regardless of whether it was necessary to get the stand in the room or not. I wish my tank had one.... AND the sump is easier to get into for maintinence... you may have inadvertently revolutionized stand design my friend!

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. A combination of Skimming, various carbon dosing/ bacteria dosing, water change, and filter sock change keeps the balance. I always tend to be a little higher in nutrient than most SPS reefs, so I offset that with more lighting. The top portion of my tank sees up to 700 Par, and a little as 250 on the sandbed. What type of colors are you getting? Light/faded, brown etc?

I do pretty much the same I make DIY nopox, filters skimmer etc. radion pro2 w 4 t5 bulbs, my colors are brown and my growth isn’t there (at all), my po4 stay between 0.04-0.07 nitrates around 10.
I keep wondering if I am overstocked then
I see all your fish

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do pretty much the same I make DIY nopox, filters skimmer etc. radion pro2 w 4 t5 bulbs, my colors are brown and my growth isn’t there (at all), my po4 stay between 0.04-0.07 nitrates around 10.
I keep wondering if I am overstocked then
I see all your fish

What is your ALK at?

Back