Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

Thegoodson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool. i have it on the pulse mode.
its on the left sife of the tank behind the big rock. i was thinking of moving it on the back glass

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking mighty fine Rich!!! Do you still have the Utter Chaos and Sunny D's in the cube? I couldn't spot them on your last video. I'm going to have to get some stick frags from you to see if they will grow in my 180! I run higher nutrients too so maybe your's will help me?!!

Do you use the Phosphate RX very often? Over the years, I had used it because I like it. I sent in a water sample to Triton and it showed a high level of lanthanum. It may be from the RX, La/Cl or both so I don't know. Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up;)

Keep the videos coming dear as I really enjoy seeing the growth, colors and all the fish!! You're insights are most helpful too! I've been slackin' with checking in but I know we're both busy...lol. I'm sure your son and the biz keeps you swamped! Someday I hope to get the hubby hooked up with you for some fishing;0) He's suppose to retire in April but I'll see. He told me a couple days ago that maybe he needs to rethink his decision...lol. He's in the hospital and had an emergency (I'm not for hire as an ambulance driver...too stressful for this old lady!). It will be 2 weeks on Wednesday...probably the reason why he might rethink his decision! I just need to get the website done and then get customers! I'll send people your way when I can:D

Keep on Reef'en and Boating but most of all, loving the family and life!!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking mighty fine Rich!!! Do you still have the Utter Chaos and Sunny D's in the cube? I couldn't spot them on your last video. I'm going to have to get some stick frags from you to see if they will grow in my 180! I run higher nutrients too so maybe your's will help me?!!

Do you use the Phosphate RX very often? Over the years, I had used it because I like it. I sent in a water sample to Triton and it showed a high level of lanthanum. It may be from the RX, La/Cl or both so I don't know. Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up;)

Keep the videos coming dear as I really enjoy seeing the growth, colors and all the fish!! You're insights are most helpful too! I've been slackin' with checking in but I know we're both busy...lol. I'm sure your son and the biz keeps you swamped! Someday I hope to get the hubby hooked up with you for some fishing;0) He's suppose to retire in April but I'll see. He told me a couple days ago that maybe he needs to rethink his decision...lol. He's in the hospital and had an emergency (I'm not for hire as an ambulance driver...too stressful for this old lady!). It will be 2 weeks on Wednesday...probably the reason why he might rethink his decision! I just need to get the website done and then get customers! I'll send people your way when I can:D

Keep on Reef'en and Boating but most of all, loving the family and life!!

Thanks Terri, I have colonies of utter chaos and sunny D. I tested today and my nitrates are 20ppm and po4 .07. I haven't dosed lanthanum in a while. Po4 seems to be holding around that level for now. There's lots of high nutrient SPS tanks that are very successful, but they all have bright lighting and water stability in common. I can easily run a 0 nitrate take with low po4 but I don't like the colors on the majority of sps. I didn't notice any negative effects from dosing phosphate rx, but I mysteriously lost 3 blastos colonies that I grew from frags over last few years. Not sure if that's connected?? Anyway, it would be my honor to take your hubby fishing. I hope his accident is not very serious and he's out of the hospital soon. I'm enjoying the little guy, and yes, he keeps us very busy lol. Talk to you soon!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich, I lost some blasto colonies too. It's hard to say what caused them to die but I just wanted to let you know that lanthanum can accumulate. I couldnt see the zoas so I was hoping it was just my old eyes.

I brought Rod home Wednesday night. He was dang sick to say the least; was afraid he might not pull through to be honest. His small intestine had grown/attached to the abdomen wall which caused a blockage and dilation in some areas. His blockage was not the typical blockage and, CT scans and xrays didn't show the attached area. So with no improvement, the Dr had to go in...Thank God as it wouldn't have gotten better. He lost 36 pounds! So he's definitely lucky and ready to start hunting and fishing again! He hasn't said anything about work, lol. I'll let Rod know what you said dear:) He'll be happy:)

I havent taken the time ti test nitrates in the 180 but they are up there I suspect. Before the WC the phosphate was at .10 so I need to test again. Lol. I'm thinking of adding a couple sticks to see how they fare. Do you mount yours where you want them or light acclimate them? Thanks hon!! Give that beautiful boy a big hug!! :)

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow glad to hear that the Dr's were able to help him. I kind of know how sticks will respond in my system as i get them based on my lighting intensity and nutrient level. Also depends on the shape of the frag as you get them. If they're zoox limited from a low nutrient tank, or stress badly, I usually don't start high. I guess you just have to watch them closely and move them as needed :)

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes dear, we are all very happy that the Dr could help him! It will be 43 years married to Rod in 2 months and I have to say, I don't know what I'd be like if I lost him:eek: This time was sure testing me. Thanks for the info on where to start the sticks! I'll give your way a try now. If you see a stick starting to STN, what do you do? I've tried all kinds of things and have not been very successful...maybe only a couple have pulled through;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes dear, we are all very happy that the Dr could help him! It will be 43 years married to Rod in 2 months and I have to say, I don't know what I'd be like if I lost him:eek: This time was sure testing me. Thanks for the info on where to start the sticks! I'll give your way a try now. If you see a stick starting to STN, what do you do? I've tried all kinds of things and have not been very successful...maybe only a couple have pulled through;Shamefullyembarrased

Stn is a tough one. Even when my tank is doing excellent I may have a frag or colony start to stn out of no where. Fragging off receding parts and remounting is the standard protocol, but if many corals STN it could be 100 different things. Testing for everything, and often can maybe give you an answer. It's work for sure :)

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Rich that stn is a tough one! I do the usual protocol but the nub that is left does not usually make it. At least now, I am making progress in that I have about 10 or so acros with no rtn/stn and there is color! Woot! I'm not holding my breath but I'm hopeful that maybe I have a few going in the right direction! Keep showing your progress and thanks for the insights! If we had all the answers, I know I wouldn't stay in the hobby long! I love learning even if it doesn't necessarily benefit me as it can possibly help others! Thanks dear!!

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. Would love to see a tank update with a nice top down video. :D

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got around to that top down video Sahin :) Sorry

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. I switched lighting to Radion G4 pro's for several months. I was very impressed with them, and had good growth + color. The spectrum was a little overly blue in the Coral Lab Ab+ mode, but the SPS responded best to that. I am planning a move in the next few months so I sold off the radions to run my favorite, 400w radium (giesmann spectra), for the winter months. This is a pic with the led's from September and the video below is from the other day. I removed some rock and sold off my large wwc yellow tip colony on the left to make more room for growth + flow.

September
IMG_2748 by rich colombo, on Flickr

January (cloudy from just doing some maintenance)
IMG_4755 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Blue Led
IMG_4786 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Video from a few days ago

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Devan Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my last few tank stands tall. This one is 37". I think it's a good height. I hate the 28"-30" stands, it like a look down tank :)
yeah it is annoying. i am building a stand for a 40 breeder right now and i am going 36 inches, but now i am thinking a little taller would be nice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back