jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update possible?

Sure, but unfortunately it's not a good one. I had my hands full with a busy business and a new son (first child), that the tank took a backseat. I let things get out of whack badly and lost colonies slowly over the end of summer into the fall. I tried doing several large water changes but I wasn't able to correct random STN and overall lack of coral health. I decided to restart the talk with new rock and sand 2 months ago.

This ended up being a good move but the tank has a long way to go. I am basically growing everything from frags again. Growth has exploded and health has greatly improved in damaged corals from the previous system. Just keeping it steady and trying to grow it all out again. I do plan on covering the bottom of the rock with different color blastos and ultra acan this time around. This is what the tank looks like now. Still have a long way to go, but I'm enjoying the hobby again :) I'll update as thing start getting more special :)

3/23/17 by rich colombo, on Flickr

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks fine Rich! In a year, no one will ever know that you let the tank slide! Having your first born is a very good reason for a tank to be neglected! I'm sure the son and the tank will blossom! Life definitely can throw some kinks into reefkeeping and as long as the tank doesn't get "too bad", a sign of a successful reefkeeper is getting it all turned around :9) You are doing just that Rich, without a doubt!! Keep us posted whenever you have the time:9)

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks fine Rich! In a year, no one will ever know that you let the tank slide! Having your first born is a very good reason for a tank to be neglected! I'm sure the son and the tank will blossom! Life definitely can throw some kinks into reefkeeping and as long as the tank doesn't get "too bad", a sign of a successful reefkeeper is getting it all turned around :9) You are doing just that Rich, without a doubt!! Keep us posted whenever you have the time:9)

Thanks Terri Hopefully I can continue things on the right path.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months later..... I have changed my lighting to all LED!!! I'm using 2 radion xr30 g4 pros of the tank for the last 6 weeks and the results have been excellent. Coverage is great, growth and color very good as well. Happy with my decision so far .

IMG_1842 (1) by rich colombo, on Flickr

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's filling in really nice. What are your parameters these days and dosing anything?

Thanks! Running my nitrates about 15ppm and po4 was .06 last I checked. I tried aquaforest products for a month but I got annoyed with the cyano explosion. I have no patience for trying to balance nutrients with products that I don't fully understand. I've always liked to have higher nutrients anyway, so corals can grow more zoox and I can blast them with more light. IME that's when you get colors that don't even look real :D
I actually went back to prodibio last week, made my first dose. I want to balance my nutrients here and slowly increase LED intensity. For po4 control I make an occasional phosphate RX dose, I love this stuff compared to the mess ROWA and other GFO's used in the past.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! Changed lights again! Lol. The tank is looking very good hon. So which is growing faster?... Your first born or the corals?! Ive heard great things about the radios so you should continue to see growth and great color with your methodology Rich! I just went with the Skimz too[emoji6]. I'll keep following as I love your tank and need all the help I can get in 'trying' to grow such beautiful SPS[emoji6]

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always ready neuwave for a video of Rich's tank! It's impressive to see his growth and further cooration of his corals! How about it hon?!![emoji16][emoji847]

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is you Radion lighting schedule? Also can you elaborate on the transition?

I started using the AB+ template at 50% for the first 3 weeks, but I notice that the graph only runs around 38%. Corals responded well so I have been increasing intensity. Currently at 70% intensity in the AB+ template which shows a max of 49% on the graph. As you can tell, I really have no idea what I'm doing ...lol. Corals are responding well though. I have to connect my reef link again, it's always disconnecting for some reason.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back