Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

reefomania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right Richie, Radium is Radium but T5s with leds are good alternative.
If you could find 5 minutes and stop by some evening that would be great, I have some algae problem that I never sow in my life maybe you can help me fight them.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right Richie, Radium is Radium but T5s with leds are good alternative.
If you could find 5 minutes and stop by some evening that would be great, I have some algae problem that I never sow in my life maybe you can help me fight them.

Ye no problem. Get the scotch ready :)

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it is beautiful. I love the mix of acans. Thank you for sharing.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great as always rich. Sorry to hear that you lost some colonies. If you need anything you know were I live

Rockmp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! What bulb combo are you using? Also what reefbrite did you go with?

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Richie,
Where is this guy?
https://flic.kr/p/rTya54

Lost most of my PM. I was able to save a frag so have to regrow. :( It takes forever.
Wow, it is beautiful. I love the mix of acans. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks. Surprisingly acans do very well in this tank with all the flow. They don't expand as large as in mixed reefs, but they grow super fast in comparison to LPS tanks that I've seen.

Looks great as always rich. Sorry to hear that you lost some colonies. If you need anything you know were I live

Thank you Joe. I really appreciate that. I'm ok at the moment. I was able to save frags of most corals that were dying. Just have to grow stuff out now.

Looks awesome! What bulb combo are you using? Also what reefbrite did you go with?

Thanks. Using 6 blue+, 3coral+, and AB special. I'm using my old 24" reefbrite tech blue.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you are using 10 t5 bulbs. No wonder it looks so great.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered where you had gone Rich! So sorry to hear that your work took you away from your tank :9( Life happens, huh?! So happy though that you were able to save some frags off the colonies! :9) Your sticks are always superb! You surprised me with the change of lighting...the ATI will perform for you! Looks like you know that with the increase in 2-part :0) Keep the updates coming Rich!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered where you had gone Rich! So sorry to hear that your work took you away from your tank :9( Life happens, huh?! So happy though that you were able to save some frags off the colonies! :9) Your sticks are always superb! You surprised me with the change of lighting...the ATI will perform for you! Looks like you know that with the increase in 2-part :0) Keep the updates coming Rich!

Hi Terri ann!! Yes, life got in the way but I was able to save most of the stuff. From not being home and feeding much, all my nutrient levels went to 0. Colors faded + growth slowed. Since corals were not calcifying at the same rate and the 2 part dosages remained the same, my levels, particularly Alk (14.4dkh), shot through the roof! After dropping the alk to the 7.5dkh range, and staring regular feedings, the stn/rtn stopped and corals recovered. Damage was done though.

I've had good experiences with T5 in the past, and I know that a 10 bulb ATI (discontinued) would give me the best possible coverage over my cube. I saw one for sale on RC at a steal of a price, so I couldn't pass. As expected, growth has taken off. SPS are exploding with growth tips in only 2 months of this light running. I am tweaking nutrient level + carbon dosing and I'm even getting the red back to my tenuis again!!

Not the best pic but you can see the red starting to make a comeback. This proves to me that it is not just the halide that made these colors possible.
IMG_5114 by rich colombo, on Flickr

A few other pics taken with Ipone 6 for the heck of it :) White balance a little off here.
T5 colors to date

Aqua SD milli
IMG_5116 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Cherry Blossom getting big
IMG_5127 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Pearlberry 8" now
IMG_5120 by rich colombo, on Flickr
IMG_5059 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Pro Corals rainbow acro coloring up
IMG_5122 by rich colombo, on Flickr

I was able to save a small piece from my abrolhensis colony and it's making a comeback!
IMG_5112 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Red planet frag growing
IMG_5047 by rich colombo, on Flickr

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terri ann!! Yes, life got in the way but I was able to save most of the stuff. From not being home and feeding much, all my nutrient levels went to 0. Colors faded + growth slowed. Since corals were not calcifying at the same rate and the 2 part dosages remained the same, my levels, particularly Alk (14.4dkh), shot through the roof! After dropping the alk to the 7.5dkh range, and staring regular feedings, the stn/rtn stopped and corals recovered. Damage was done though.

I've had good experiences with T5 in the past, and I know that a 10 bulb ATI (discontinued) would give me the best possible coverage over my cube. I saw one for sale on RC at a steal of a price, so I couldn't pass. As expected, growth has taken off. SPS are exploding with growth tips in only 2 months of this light running. I am tweaking nutrient level + carbon dosing and I'm even getting the red back to my tenuis again!!

Not the best pic but you can see the red starting to make a comeback. This proves to me that it is not just the halide that made these colors possible.
IMG_5114 by rich colombo, on Flickr

A few other pics taken with Ipone 6 for the heck of it :) White balance a little off here.
T5 colors to date

Aqua SD milli
IMG_5116 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Cherry Blossom getting big
IMG_5127 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Pearlberry 8" now
IMG_5120 by rich colombo, on Flickr
IMG_5059 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Pro Corals rainbow acro coloring up
IMG_5122 by rich colombo, on Flickr

I was able to save a small piece from my abrolhensis colony and it's making a comeback!
IMG_5112 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Red planet frag growing
IMG_5047 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Yikes on the alk Rich! You definitely are getting growth again! Woot! Keep me posted:9)

coltrame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Beautiful tank. I'm going to buy simmilar cube. You are using 10x t5 24W? How many LEDs extra is lighting Your tank?

Last edited:

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich,

Beautiful tank! It looks like you have mastered keeping your parameters in check...when you are home to do so. Sorry that things got out of line while you didn't have time to dedicate to the tank. It sounds like you are bouncing right back, though.

I have a question regarding the LR in your sump. Do you do any maintenance to that section or just let it sit there? I have thought of adding LR to a section of my sump but always fear it will just end up getting full of detritus and causing trouble. Thanks.

Dave

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us what your lighting schedule is?

I put the Giesemann Spectra back over my tank last week. The T5 was kicking butt, but I missed the halide spectrum which is second to none IMO. I will probably put the 10 bulb powermodule back over my tank in the spring to cut down on heat (a little).

Impressive tank. Awesome colors. Love the clam in the middle of the sand bed.
Thanks. I had that clam for 3 1/2 years.

Hello! Beautiful tank. I'm going to buy simmilar cube. You are using 10x t5 24W? How many LEDs extra is lighting Your tank?

I used the ATI for the last 5 months. Growth was excellent as I expected, but I'm back to the halide to try to intensify colors at the moment. LED was 2 blue led reefbrites when i was using either lighting. LED was just for a little pop in the blue spectrum. I am not an LED fan at all for primary lighting.

Wow nice!
Ty :)

Rich,

Beautiful tank! It looks like you have mastered keeping your parameters in check...when you are home to do so. Sorry that things got out of line while you didn't have time to dedicate to the tank. It sounds like you are bouncing right back, though.

I have a question regarding the LR in your sump. Do you do any maintenance to that section or just let it sit there? I have thought of adding LR to a section of my sump but always fear it will just end up getting full of detritus and causing trouble. Thanks.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have slowly switched out all LR rubble to Marine pure ceramic biomedia. I have 2 gallons of spheres, and 1 large block in my compartment. I have the media elevated on a platform so detritus can fall below. Every 3rd or 4th water change I shop vac the detritus below, in a small area that I made space to fit the hose without disrupting the media.

I haven't had much time to update but here is a current shot just taken with an iphon6 (4t5's + 2 blue led reef bites)

IMG_5613 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Low tech sump :)
IMG_5612 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back