Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

RRaquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really awesome tank. My brother just purchased a 27 gallon cube so I'm excited to help him get it set up hopefully it will come out as good as yours has.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Amazing pics. Look at the fully extend polyps.

PE in most pieces is very good in this tank. It's probably related to my redicilous bioload :)

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426303060.916921.jpg

I have a similar acro but was told it was an ORA chips.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426303109.872305.jpg

It does look similar to a chips. I was growing a chips colony in this tank but gave it to a friend to grow so I could make more room. The growth on this frag is a little different than the chips, but both are cool pieces.

Glad I found you here on R2R Rich! Did you decide what to replace the Dropcam with? I'll soon be in the market for a camera like that. :)

So far nothing yet :) I think I'm going to need 2 cameras. One to view sump, and one for the display. I'm not really sure what to choose, but I certainly won't be wasting $200 in a drop cam pro again.

That's a really awesome tank. My brother just purchased a 27 gallon cube so I'm excited to help him get it set up hopefully it will come out as good as yours has.

Thanks. Good luck with the new setup!

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank looks very nice! I love the variety of colors and growth forms you have accumulated. Well done!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank looks very nice! I love the variety of colors and growth forms you have accumulated. Well done!

Thank you! It's a work in progress. I removed many corals to allow for more flow and eliminate shading, which became real problem. Since you bumped this thread up, I'll add a little color :) I'll get a new FTS soon. The tank looks very different since I removed a few big colonies.

Supergirl frag
DSC_0021 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

ice fire
DSC_0034 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Oregon tort
DSC_0033 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Purple monster
DSC_0047 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Aqua SD
DSC_0029 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

tbdh20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superb pics and coral selection! The Oregon Tort is on my short list for the new build, have always loved that coral!

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you take pictures with a nikon D40. Would mind telling me the settings you use to take pictures? I have the same camera and I cN never take a decent picture.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been busy Rich! :0) Get that " full tank video" up soon!! The Oregon Tort continues to be one of my all-time faves! The blue is just gorgeous no matter what lighting it is under!! BTW, I picked up my 1st SPS frag at a swap a couple weeks ago:0) It's in the180 and so far, so good!! It's all I can do to restrain myself from buying more but I know.........slow and steady!!

That ASD Mille is SA_WEET! I had my eye on that one:0) Great choice Rich!! I buy from Will almost every week... He has some quality livestock!! Have a great weekend Rich!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Everything looks great. Awesome color on that ice fire.

Thanks!

Superb pics and coral selection! The Oregon Tort is on my short list for the new build, have always loved that coral!

The oregon tort is a painfully slow grower but the a must have for an SPS tank :) The best colony I have seen if from 'Reeflover' over on RC. His colony is 7-8 years old. Absolutely sick color.

I see you take pictures with a nikon D40. Would mind telling me the settings you use to take pictures? I have the same camera and I cN never take a decent picture.

Sure. Keep in mind these last pics were taken through a top down viewer. Here are the settings that i used for the super girl frag pic. The settings are the same in all of these pics except for the exposure, which I adjust depending on how much light the coral is getting.
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 7.25.47 AM by rich.colombo, on Flickr

You have been busy Rich! :0) Get that " full tank video" up soon!! The Oregon Tort continues to be one of my all-time faves! The blue is just gorgeous no matter what lighting it is under!! BTW, I picked up my 1st SPS frag at a swap a couple weeks ago:0) It's in the180 and so far, so good!! It's all I can do to restrain myself from buying more but I know.........slow and steady!!

That ASD Mille is SA_WEET! I had my eye on that one:0) Great choice Rich!! I buy from Will almost every week... He has some quality livestock!! Have a great weekend Rich!!

Where's the tank tread terri? I want to subscribe :) Slow and steady is probably the best way, but I say strike when the iron is hot! If you have several frags doing well, no reason why you can't have several more ;) But then again, don't put all your eggs in one basket lol..... we would never have a reef tank in that case though :) The aqua SD was from Dnov99 on here. He has great corals. Aqua SD seems to get a lot of nice pieces and is a great outlet for 'collectors'
Enjoy your weekend as well and happy holidays.

Last edited:

kodez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! One of the best tanks I've ever seen! Just read the thread from start to now, well done on an incredible tank. Inspiration for my cube down here in aus, wish we could get the amazing corals like you folk do.
Kodez.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing tank

Thanks Tom :bigsmile:

Wow! One of the best tanks I've ever seen! Just read the thread from start to now, well done on an incredible tank. Inspiration for my cube down here in aus, wish we could get the amazing corals like you folk do.
Kodez.

Thank you Kodez. What size is your cube? It's surprising that you can't get amazing corals in Australia, since of my corals are from Australia :wink:

kodez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tom :bigsmile:

Thank you Kodez. What size is your cube? It's surprising that you can't get amazing corals in Australia, since of my corals are from Australia :wink:

Haha yep! Seem's the majority of the good one's get exported. Currently 450mm or 18" :) Waiting for our house to be finished so I can get a larger cube :p

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yep! Seem's the majority of the good one's get exported. Currently 450mm or 18" :) Waiting for our house to be finished so I can get a larger cube :p

Nice! I used to run a 34 solana which is a 24" cube or 508mm ;) I suggest using branch rock if you're going SPS. It's tricky to aquascape a cube without a big blob of rock in the middle, and getting all around flow becomes tricky as well. Branch scapes give you mounting points at different heights in the tank, allow for good flow, and give an overall open scape. Some might even call it minimalist :wink:

kodez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I used to run a 34 solana which is a 24" cube or 508mm ;) I suggest using branch rock if you're going SPS. It's tricky to aquascape a cube without a big blob of rock in the middle, and getting all around flow becomes tricky as well. Branch scapes give you mounting points at different heights in the tank, allow for good flow, and give an overall open scape. Some might even call it minimalist :wink:

Definitely be using your scape for inspiration when I finally set the big one up. Quick image of the current small one then i'll stop jacking your thread, only put the XR30 on a month back, sticks are still colouring up, nothing like the examples you've got :/

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tank thread:9( Just way too busy:9( Finally got several frags off the sandbed:0) However, I no sooner get them on the rock and they're back on the sand! Darn snails and crabs! Need to just make some time for gluing. Stocking the tank makes it also to where there are frags on the sandbed all the time so it doesn't look good enough for pictures. I imagine it will be quite some time before I take a picture or 2. Besides, the 180 will never get anywhere near as beautiful as yours! Catch you later Rich when I watch the video of your tank!! hint, hint! :0)

seargentslice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing Tank I have bin following your posts for some time lots of good info. I have a supergirl frag as well amazing coral debating on moving her up into a higher par area now that I have plenty of nutrients in my system. I like your BubbleKing I had a aquamaxx Co-3 on my system did a ok job.I bought a used vertex alpha 170 the older RE manufactured one and there is no comparison to what it removes the high end skimmers are not just a price tag thats for sure. Is that a co2 scrubber in your sump pic?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics. and Thank you for sharing your camera setting.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back