James Planted Calculator question

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will be dosing Mono Potassium Phosphate into a 200G tank (actual volume). Based on my inputs, James Planted Tank Calculator says to mix 10G of potassium phosphate with 100ml RODI. Dosing 25 ml is supposed to raise phos by .02ppm. BTW, I have tried overfeeding and it is not working. Right now, my phos and nitrates are reading zero with Hanna and Nyos testers.

But in the notes section "what values do I need" it says:
What amount of nutrient you wish to add depends on your dosing schedule but if dosing Estimative Index then here is a general guide:
8ppm of Nitrate which is added 3x a week
2ppm of Phosphate which is added 3x a week

I don't understand the part about 2ppm of phos 3x per week. I only want to get to .03ish and would this be overdosing up to 2ppm? Should I go with the calculator at 25ml 3x week or dose up to 2ppm worth to get enough into the system so it will not be consumed so quickly?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Steve, first off you scared me with 10G - Capital G usually means gallons, lower case g means grams :)

The guide above is for a planted tank, not a reef. Plants require much more phosphate then coral do, thus the estimative index is suggesting to dose 2ppm multiple times a week to keep up with the demand. I just used the same calculator, 200g tank, 10g of PP in 100ml of water, and the result is 1ml of solution will add 0.09ppm of P into the tank.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.... 10 gallons would be really bad...thanks for the catch. I will try your suggestion...thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back