Japanese toadstool not opening up

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Japanese toadstool hasn’t extended for a week . Just noticed this orange spot aswell
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity: 7.5
Calcium : 480
Salinity: 32 ppt
4B528540-6F9B-4622-9412-896958C23F23.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools are known to do this as they are getting ready to shed. The orange spot isn't a concern. If there is spot or spots that turn grey or black, that's a major concern. Those can turn into tissue necrosis.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Flippers said, they tend to shed once a month and do this. The orange spot you see is likely new "skin" while the rest is most likely older and ready to come off. If this bothers you, you could move it to a slightly higher flow area to help peel the skin off. Otherwise leave it where it's at and it should be back out slowly but surely.
They do this to keep algae and detritus off themselves.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies ! Was getting a little worried. Would u recommend lightly blowing it with a turkey baster ?

I personally wouldn't(think of it like your own skin, if it's peeling and not ready to come off it hurts if you just rip it off) and would just move it to a slightly higher flow area and let it slowly come off if it bugs you. I keep mine in medium to high flow(it gets hit by indirect flow straight from my return pump) and it does fine and it's only a baby(about 2 inches). Hardy coral, and can live through a lot so don't worry too much.

OP
OP
Easy Reefing

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't(think of it like your own skin, if it's peeling and not ready to come off it hurts if you just rip it off) and would just move it to a slightly higher flow area and let it slowly come off if it bugs you. I keep mine in medium to high flow(it gets hit by indirect flow straight from my return pump) and it does fine and it's only a baby(about 2 inches). Hardy coral, and can live through a lot so don't worry too much.
Got it , thank u !

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Japanese toadstool hasn’t extended for a week . Just noticed this orange spot aswell
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity: 7.5
Calcium : 480
Salinity: 32 ppt
4B528540-6F9B-4622-9412-896958C23F23.jpeg

+1 on moving it to higher flow (medium flow at most)! It will open up in no time!
My toadstool seems happiest in medium flow and at ~150 PAR.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.
Yup, if you see the toadstool developing a “waxy appearance”, and is closed up, you know it’s about to shed. In an area of decent/moderate flow it should be able to shed by itself. When I moved my toadstool from my Qt to the display, it didn’t open for over a month! It took a while for it to adjust. They can be a little finicky sometimes, but are generally bullet proof! I’ve had to frag mine once in the last year. Thing was getting huge.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.
Yup, if you see the toadstool developing a “waxy appearance”, and is closed up, you know it’s about to shed. In an area of decent/moderate flow it should be able to shed by itself. When I moved my toadstool from my Qt to the display, it didn’t open for over a month! It took a while for it to adjust. They can be a little finicky sometimes, but are generally bullet proof! I’ve had to frag mine once in the last year. Thing was getting huge.

Definitely take photos to document the growth! It'll amaze you (it did for me) at how much growth happens especially if you're busy!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back