OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a new skimmer for my 40b system, dfc80 from brs/aquamaxx. I plan on placing the old skimmer in the sca50g sump.
IMG_3302.jpeg

I saw this on monday out walking the dog. Aliens or space x you be the judge

IMG_3282.jpeg
IMG_3283.jpeg

And the tan part stockpile is growing, i ordered a bunch of wedge plates in both light and dark tan (or sand yellow and brick yellow as lego calls them) I also got another 10-15 mountain panels and a bunch of trelliss support for structure underneath not pictured.

IMG_3287.jpeg

and the vintage parts I ordered were to mostly complete this set - the legendary skulls eye schooner. I still need to finish the build - old Lego instructions are so much more difficult to follow than new sets. I bought reproduction sails from
Okbrickworks as I can’t afford to put out that much money for a vintage set in good condition. Im also missing the 1 rare pirate from this set, it sells for quite a bit so im not adding him to the collection anytime soon. All in I feel I did good price wise - about $200-250 total between the original goodwill bulk lot that had most of the ship, new sails, and a few bricklink orders.

IMG_3296.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turbo snails I added certainly are putting in work. If there isn’t much algae they move to the scrubber and have been keeping it clean of any new growth :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
IMG_3316.jpeg

The 40b is looking good, I need to get back into doing some regular testing and dig out some new test kits from storage as I used up my open calcium test. And I haven’t been testing as often as I should which has led to calcium dropping to dangerously low levels - under 200 - I feel this cause the loss of 2 torches over the passed month. I’ve slowly been raising it back up. And nothing really skipped a beat. Here’s some photos of that system - the display and the frag tank - not my greatest photo work I barely cleaned the glass in these photos and just used an orange filter without adjusting anything
IMG_3323.jpeg

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3325.jpeg

IMG_3324.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped the skimmer on the 40b system with the new aquamaxx dfc80, so I’m 99% sure it’s going to need a stand to raise it higher, right now it’s not producing any skimmate but I think it needs a little time for the “break in” and then adjusting the height and air/pump speed. I really like the ease of assembly with this design, it should be easy to clean.
IMG_3345.jpeg

The old aquamaxx hob1 went to the sca sump. And it barely fits. I need to add a longer hose to the skimmer overflow drain so the bottle will sit flat. But other than that I’m likening it down here. Hopefully adding this skimmer will help bring this tank up to the next level as I feel it was really starting to need one.
IMG_3344.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

And the schooner is done. I’m not sure where I’m going to display it yet, was thinking on top of the orphek but it’s too big to fit on it. I should have waited to assemble it while we are under construction, but I just had too get it put together.
IMG_3327.jpeg

We took a blue coat sailor as prisoner
IMG_3330.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Cleaned the glass and dusted the lego today besides adding In the skimmer.

IMG_3359.jpeg

I added more minifigs to the ship also.
IMG_3356.jpeg

IMG_3355.jpeg

IMG_3354.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped the skimmer on the 40b system with the new aquamaxx dfc80, so I’m 99% sure it’s going to need a stand to raise it higher, right now it’s not producing any skimmate but I think it needs a little time for the “break in” and then adjusting the height and air/pump speed. I really like the ease of assembly with this design, it should be easy to clean.
IMG_3345.jpeg

The old aquamaxx hob1 went to the sca sump. And it barely fits. I need to add a longer hose to the skimmer overflow drain so the bottle will sit flat. But other than that I’m likening it down here. Hopefully adding this skimmer will help bring this tank up to the next level as I feel it was really starting to need one.
IMG_3344.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

And the schooner is done. I’m not sure where I’m going to display it yet, was thinking on top of the orphek but it’s too big to fit on it. I should have waited to assemble it while we are under construction, but I just had too get it put together.
IMG_3327.jpeg

We took a blue coat sailor as prisoner
IMG_3330.jpeg
I love the pirate ship!

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pirates arrived and are loading up the small but mighty cross bone clipper. Some
Very very rare parts in this set I have yet to track down at a good price that I’m willing to pay, so I had to make a few substitutions. It’s Also sporting a reproduction sail for cost reasons.

IMG_3390.jpeg

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New full tank shot from tonight, the tank is running well, adding the skimmer has imo improved the tank, I’ve noticed the corals are starting to grow now, especially the montiporas, the little setosa chip has really took off over the last 2 weeks from being a mostly dead frag with a couple tic tac size pieces of living coral. now I need to get off my lazy bum And start doing more regular testing to make sure I’m keeping the tank stable. The algae problem plaguing the gorgonian has went away, And it’s now making a nice recovery from the tissue loss it suffered.
IMG_3408.jpeg

And fts from November 30, 2023 you can really see a size difference in these past 4 months
IMG_2321.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some before and after growth shots
IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_3410.jpeg

IMG_1583.jpeg
IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg
IMG_3426.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_3411.jpeg

IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_3414.jpeg
IMG_1579.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3418.jpeg
    IMG_3418.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3427.jpeg
    IMG_3427.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some top down photos last night under blues.
IMG_3434.jpeg
IMG_3435.jpeg
IMG_3436.jpeg

I really like how this green and purple Micromussa (top left multi polyp)has started getting some orange stripes. And the button scoly is looking good (bottom center single polyp)
IMG_3437.jpeg
IMG_3439.jpeg
IMG_3440.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ordering new gear is very rare for me, like I have ran that old aquamaxx hob1 skimmer for 10 years now, it works fine why upgrade right? And I’m liking this new dfc80 I just got, but what I’ve always wanted was a spare skimmer/pump/powerhead/etc to swap out when they get dirty. Yesterday brs sends a sale message- 50% off aquamaxx- so I bought another hob1 and dfc80 for spares. This major sale price makes me wonder if they are discontinuing the aquamaxx line. Either way I have backup skimmers now and part of my dream tier maintenance setup has been reached.

I will say I was ticked off paying nearly full price a week or 2 ago for the new skimmer. But that passed when I spent even more money :expressionless-face:

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New backup skimmers arrived this morning and a top down shot of the 40b as it’s looking good.
IMG_3483.jpeg
IMG_3486.jpeg

I also decided to do something about my skimmer needing a stand. I won a few goodwill auctions of lego Duplo in bulk over the last week, and I was sorting out the bulk last night and had an idea, An 8x8 Duplo plate and some 2x2 bricks made the perfect size stand, and the rubber feet actually sit between the studs so it won’t slide off.
IMG_3487.jpeg
IMG_3490.jpeg
IMG_3489.jpeg

Also if your wondering why a grown manchild like myself would buy bulk Duplo - it’s because it still works with lego system bricks- you can use it to build up hidden support structure quickly In large builds. Sort of like the drop off reef I want to build. An quick photo example and an awesome video showcasing the power of Duplo. No I did not build the display in the video
IMG_3491.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working under the hot sun - the pirates reveal the true reason for coming to the island, they are digging up a buried treasure.
IMG_3492.jpeg
IMG_3494.jpeg
IMG_3495.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relaxing tonight watching melevsreef and my reef, we are starting to make some progress, I finished the tile shower I was working on last week, So I’ve been working on my house until the next job starts. HVAC is about 80% installed now, and we are starting the electrical. We added a new electrical sub panel in the house that will power the kitchen, back bedroom, master,
Garage, and a few outside receptacles we want to add.
IMG_3591.jpeg

New electrical panel
IMG_3597.jpeg

Some pics of some new framing, wiring, and the hvac
IMG_3593.jpeg
IMG_3592.jpeg

And then more demo, i tore out most of the closet but kept the sink since it’s still In use. It will have to come out eventually but not yet. We are going to replumb this half of the house (which is 90% of the plumbing really) since it’s so open, our copper lines run under the concrete slab, and we have had a few leaks in the copper in the past so we want to eliminate any future potential leaks on the old pipe and are going with all new pex ran through the attic space. I also have some plans for this future sink space, I plan on getting a slab and have our stone fabricator make a counter so I can undermount this sink for a nice clean sanitary look. I also want to to go edge to edge in that space so about 6’ of length which will give me a nice space for setting up the frag saw or doing maintenance work. Im thinking of making the counter top space on a slight downslope to make it drain into the sink automatically. I will probably find a matching 36” sink base cabinet to hold the sink to have a nice finished look.
IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3596.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an idea for a new lego diorama - the megalodon attack - I decided to plant my lego bonsai onto my large forestman build I’ve been working on for a long time, that left me with an lego empty pot, I had the little ship from a bulk lot I bought and I though cool I’ll just plop it in the tray and add trans light blue pieces and done, but then I remembered I had the shark from another lackluster lego set, so I modified it a little bit, enlarged the pot with the pieces I have and ordered some more to finish it off. I can’t wait to get it done.

Forestman moc I’ve been slowly building, don’t mind Dennis he’s just a little lost
IMG_3615.jpeg

Modified shark
IMG_3618.jpeg

The ship is from the lego ideas ship in a bottle set
IMG_3622.jpeg

Final idea - just need to finish the tray up.
IMG_3625.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back