Jawbreaker mushrooms

Reef4reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True JB's from Vietnam , another JB's from Tonga , Indo ect.... Just look like JB's but they are 100% differelly with true JB's smooth skin and green with bleeding red:D , I came to know the supply from VN they shipped one to German 2 to CN with same mother colony , every people's could say thier shroom is JB'S haha:))

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GameOver-1.jpg

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my colony is shared ownership with my son-in-law's younger brothers and we still have our original 1st daughter, plus a few granddaughters. Since we've owned the colony for over 7 years now, we've had 4 granddaughters with nice amount of green. Last year, we split the mother colony among the partners and each has a green polyp in their colony. We still keep a mother colony where we frag out for sales, so we do have frags throughout the year. The zoo location is SF is where our mother colony is located.

The 2nd daughter went to a hobbyist in Sacto area, who sold it last year when he was relocated to Hawaii. He sold everything before moving. The 3rd daughter is still in the San Jose area.

Interesting to see all these family trees of this particular shroom. U should totally write an article about it lol.

wav0718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the jawbreaker. I bought my original a year and a half ago from a reliable source here in Sacramento. It wasn't producing the green so I bought another one from a well known reefer here on reef2reef. The original mushroom took a long time to split but once it started, it is multiplying like crazy. It is exponential, 1 turns into 2 and 2 to 4 and 4 to 8 and so on. Most of the babies have orange and red as babies. Darker orange developing later on and the original is only now starting to show specks of green after a year and a half. I think price is dictated by coloration and size.

Some of my more mature jawbreakers

[/QUOTE]

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wav, I'm assuming those pics are not reprrsentitave of the actual color.
I'm seriously debating about picking one of these up.
Is 150.00 a good price for a dime sized one?

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True JB's from Vietnam , another JB's from Tonga , Indo ect.... Just look like JB's but they are 100% differelly with true JB's smooth skin and green with bleeding red:D , I came to know the supply from VN they shipped one to German 2 to CN with same mother colony , every people's could say thier shroom is JB'S haha:))
+1 agree, the new VN JB's are different from the original TieDye/JB that arrived 7 years ago. It's different as you describe.

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of past polyps that use to part of our colony. First photo had specks of green coming in and second is a much more mature mother herself now. This is from the original Mystery TieDye/Jawbreaker lineage that was first imported 7 years ago.

TieDye-Jawbreaker.jpg

TieDyeW.jpg

TieDyeW.jpg

TieDye-Jawbreaker.jpg

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an original Jawbreaker Mushroom from the Sacto Area. My mama is 4+ years old and finally started popping green in this last year. Interestingly, I have had one baby show some green. Otherwise just red and orange to start with. I suspect my mama will sport purple in a few years :). I can't wait. I've got a few babies going. When mama is happy she definitely makes babies, no need to cut or use a blender(gross)!!!

Last edited:

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Ive never been a fan of Shrooms, But I could see myself spending some $$$ on these guys!! There Crazy!!

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I always like about the Mystery TieDye/Jawbreaker is the slow growth keeps it from being invasive. This just doesn't take over your entire tank.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually the lucky fella that picked the original tie dye from Rommel. Never regretted that buy one bit. It is a slow grower, but that's never bothered me. It's amazing to watch the colors develop over time. When I got it from Rommel he simply called it The Mystery Mushroom. I felt Tie Dye was a very aprapos name, so I tacked it on (heck, I bought it, so I could call it what I wanted!). It didn't produce any babies for me for over a year, then slowly started pushing out polyps from the foot. I only get a couple to a few a year from the largest polyps even to this day, but I find that's plenty for me. I've never tried forced propagation as I wouldn't want to do such a thing to my prized shrooms.

I will say that after having acquired some of the other lineage commonly referred to as Jawbreakers, I'm convinced there are definitely at least two different kinds of mushrooms out there. From the very start the babies look very different and the color development is very different as well. I regularly get tie dye babies that show red stripes from the start, and even some that show green right away. Every polyp is different, so the colors develop uniquely on each one and time tables can vary a lot. The jawbreakers have yet to develop anything but red spots and a few stripes for me. The jawbreakers also get no where near as big, and babies are tiny compared to Tie Dye babies. Babies from the Tie Dye can be 1"+ at times, whereas jawbreakers are pencil eraser-sized and only golden orange. All this makes me think it's even more imperative to make sure there is a distinction between the two classes of Jawbreakers out there, and naturally I like the Tie Dye moniker.

To finish it up, here are a few pics of some polyps in my collection

tiedye_2000.jpg

tiedyemushroom_22173.jpg

tiedyeshrooms_27038.jpg

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually the lucky fella that picked the original tie dye from Rommel. Never regretted that buy one bit. It is a slow grower, but that's never bothered me. It's amazing to watch the colors develop over time. When I got it from Rommel he simply called it The Mystery Mushroom. I felt Tie Dye was a very aprapos name, so I tacked it on (heck, I bought it, so I could call it what I wanted!). It didn't produce any babies for me for over a year, then slowly started pushing out polyps from the foot. I only get a couple to a few a year from the largest polyps even to this day, but I find that's plenty for me. I've never tried forced propagation as I wouldn't want to do such a thing to my prized shrooms.

I will say that after having acquired some of the other lineage commonly referred to as Jawbreakers, I'm convinced there are definitely at least two different kinds of mushrooms out there. From the very start the babies look very different and the color development is very different as well. I regularly get tie dye babies that show red stripes from the start, and even some that show green right away. Every polyp is different, so the colors develop uniquely on each one and time tables can vary a lot. The jawbreakers have yet to develop anything but red spots and a few stripes for me. The jawbreakers also get no where near as big, and babies are tiny compared to Tie Dye babies. Babies from the Tie Dye can be 1"+ at times, whereas jawbreakers are pencil eraser-sized and only golden orange. All this makes me think it's even more imperative to make sure there is a distinction between the two classes of Jawbreakers out there, and naturally I like the Tie Dye moniker.

To finish it up, here are a few pics of some polyps in my collection

tiedye_2000.jpg

tiedyemushroom_22173.jpg

tiedyeshrooms_27038.jpg
great write up i always said there was a difference from the 2 tye dye and jb I am fortunate enough to have a tye dye and same as you I have had mines for almost 2 yrs before she finally started popping out babies but the green has only recently popped in hopeing she develops more

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Rommiel

Tye-Dyemushroom.gif

Beautiful Picture!! Those look identical to my patch of Jawbreakers. Some of my babies develop at about 1" right from the start while others are smaller. It just depends how much of that goo mama lays out as she makes babies.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back