Jawfish questions

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put a jawfish (looking at a pearly currently) in my 15 nano? Would be the only fish in the tank. I know I would need to add another two inches of sand which shouldnt be an issue. Just wondering if one would be happy in the tank? I know some need to be kept at lower temps, unable to find if the pearly is like the blue jaw in that respect. If possible I would love a blue jaw for that tank, but I believe they get bigger than the pearly. Both are just super cute and fun!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue jawfish comes from colder water, so keep that in mind. The pearly jawfish comes from lower south so it likes warmer waters. They also likes a good 4"-5" of sand to build its burrow. And they jump, so a lid is needed.

If its the only fish in the tank, I might add another to have a pair. They are peaceful and very cool to watch in multiples.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue jawfish comes from colder water, so keep that in mind. The pearly jawfish comes from lower south so it likes warmer waters. They also likes a good 4"-5" of sand to build its burrow. And they jump, so a lid is needed.

If its the only fish in the tank, I might add another to have a pair. They are peaceful and very cool to watch in multiples.
Both would be okay in a 15 gallon?

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of yellow head jawfish in a 14gal biocube for 5yrs or so. The tank was dedicated to them and had nothing but sand and rubble in it. I’ll try to dig up a photo if I can find one.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case you didn’t know; I’d add rubble, shells, structure to the sand as it makes it easier for them top make burrows….or alternatively place rubble under the rock before back filling with sand…

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case you didn’t know; I’d add rubble, shells, structure to the sand as it makes it easier for them top make burrows….or alternatively place rubble under the rock before back filling with sand…
Will do, got a bunch of smaller shells from hermits that out grew them Ill throw in when I add more sand. My sand is thinner in this tank, is that okay for them? And I have this nano as my rock flower nano, are they okay with them?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, got a bunch of smaller shells from hermits that out grew them Ill throw in when I add more sand. My sand is thinner in this tank, is that okay for them? And I have this nano as my rock flower nano, are they okay with them?
You should try to add some different coarseness of sand in because they prefer it. They should work with a rock flower

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller jawfish like pearly and yellow head will do fine with the Bimini pink sand from
Caribsea. My current sand mix is the Bimini pink with some sand I collected while diving. Every month or so I will throw in a half cup or so of calcium reactor media and they love to add the bigger chunks into their burrows for support.
C76C07FD-D150-400D-A394-447BAA838F69.jpeg

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of yellow head jawfish in a 14gal biocube for 5yrs or so. The tank was dedicated to them and had nothing but sand and rubble in it. I’ll try to dig up a photo if I can find one.
That's exactly what I've set up now! Use 1" PVC for tunnels in the rock work. Getting a pair of pearls this month.

I was also thinking about 2-3 firefish. You guys think that's overstocked?

Attachments

• 1704849094695119390500.jpg
    1704849094695119390500.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 14

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back